Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for father-found 3 brothers by DNA-how do i find out which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for father-found 3 brothers by DNA-how do i find out which one?

Hello. Using Ancestry DNA, i found someone who led me to find 3 brothers, one of which would be my father.

They are all deceased. They would be just over 100 now. I'm can proceed to try and find their children, but i'm 99% positive they will not know that their father ever had me.

No i'm faced with the challenge of how to determine which one of these 3 brothers was my father. Does anyone have any ideas?

If i can do it without finding the children and asking them for a dna test, THIS IS IDEAL.

If not, the children, if from my father, i would be a half-brother, otherwise, i would be a half-cousin to them. I assume DNA would show the difference between a half brother and half cousin??

Thanks in advance

Hmm. First, I'd suggest that you and your match move your results to gedmatch.com, where you may see more details than AncestryDNA allows - and also look there for matches from other testing sites.

Typically, search for candidates for a father would include trying to place the candidate in the right place/time. Take your DOB, work back to an estimated date of conception (we're you full term? Birth weight will give you a good guess). Any reason to think you were born in the same place you were conceived? Can you determine where the potential candidates were for the conception date?

I think you will eventually need to recruit a descendant, but perhaps not. Some people are amazingly willing participate in the hunt.

You may wish to visit the ISOGG wiki to view their table of expected sharing values. That might help distinguish cousins from half-sibs.

Finally, a genetic genealogy forum may help you the most. There are two groups on yahoo - DNAADOPTION and DNA-NEWBIE - that may help you in your search. There's another, more techie, group on RootsWeb.

Also, the website www.dnaadoption.com has many tips and techniques for searching for genetic relatives.

Best wishes (and welcome to FTF)
    Sarah

Comment

Working...
    X