Irish family history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish family history

I came across an old post from 2008 someone looking for Baxter Street. I too had Catholic Irish relatives living in Baxter Street when they married each other in 1873 (living together at same address, racey for that time). I know about their movements from when they married in the Cathedral (which I found was common at this time) and were called Sarah Kelly and William Mather. My problem is I don't know about them before the marriage. She must have arrived from Queens County between 1871 and 1873 but because of her common name I can't pin her down. I have posted many times trying to locate them before this time but to no avail.

My question today is did anyone find Baxter Street on a map or photo?

Dublin? or elsewhere?
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by daisynook View Post
      I came across an old post from 2008 someone looking for Baxter Street. I too had Catholic Irish relatives living in Baxter Street when they married each other in 1873 (living together at same address, racey for that time).[/B] I know about their movements from when they married in the Cathedral (which I found was common at this time) and were called Sarah Kelly and William Mather. My problem is I don't know about them before the marriage. She must have arrived from Queens County between 1871 and 1873 but because of her common name I can't pin her down. I have posted many times trying to locate them before this time but to no avail.

In case you did not know ................ putting the same address on a marriage certificate did not necessarily mean they really were living together.

It just means they were avoiding having to pay for Banns to be called in TWO parishes ..... this was a very common practice!

They might have lived under the same roof, but separately, or one of them just took a suitcase to the other person's address, and left it there for about a month, covering the 3 weeks during which the Banns were called and then the marriage.

It was a money-saving device :D

The Cathedral also served as the parish church, for both Catholics and Anglicans ............. many of my relatives married in Manchester Cathedral for that very reason ......... it was their Parish Church.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I came across an old post from 2008 someone looking for Baxter Street. I too had Catholic Irish relatives living in Baxter Street when they married each other in 1873 (living together at same address, racey for that time). I know about their movements from when they married in the Cathedral (which I found was common at this time) and were called Sarah Kelly and William Mather. My problem is I don't know about them before the marriage. She must have arrived from Queens County between 1871 and 1873 but because of her common name I can't pin her down. I have posted many times trying to locate them before this time but to no avail.

Well, at least you found a marriage! I can find NO civil marriage records for most of my Irish couples who got together in Northumberland 1860 - 1880. However, I think they probably did marry in their local RC parish church, the records for which are not yet available on-line. I cannot believe the parish priest would have condoned them all cohabiting outside of some form of marriage.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
          Well, at least you found a marriage! I can find NO civil marriage records for most of my Irish couples who got together in Northumberland 1860 - 1880. However, I think they probably did marry in their local RC parish church, the records for which are not yet available on-line. I cannot believe the parish priest would have condoned them all cohabiting outside of some form of marriage.

Jay
          Thanks for the tip about Irish Catholic families in Northumberland. I am doing a tree for a friend and she has a couple in it from that area that have several children before having a civil marriage and I am now thinking what you say could apply to them.
          Waiting for the civil marriage cert to arrive to see if either were married before to other people.
          Margaret

Comment

Hi Paulc, Sylvia c and Janet in Yorkshire - I didn't know about saving money on the Banns, that's an interesting piece of social history, thank you. I now believe that Upper Baxter Street was in Hulme.

My Irish relative, Sarah Kelly came from Queens County and I only know that because its on their marriage certificate. As I knew their names at marriage I sent off for the Certificate.

Janet, have you tried looking up the RC Parishes in the area they lived?

Comment

Hi Paulc, Sylvia c and Janet in Yorkshire - I didn't know about saving money on the Banns, that's an interesting piece of social history, thank you. I now believe that Upper Baxter Street was in Hulme.

My Irish relative, Sarah Kelly came from Queens County and I only know that because its on their marriage certificate. As I knew their names at marriage I sent off for the Certificate.

Janet, have you tried looking up the RC Parishes in the area they lived?
              Indeed I have, but the marriage records for most of those Northumbrian parishes are not yet online. My message would be to keep on chipping away and to regularly check all new online databases and avenues of research. Some things do come to light, eventually, if one is patient. After 30 years of trying, I do sometimes get the very welcome odd reward.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
              X