No wonder I couldn't find them!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No wonder I couldn't find them!

Talk about mis-transcriptions, LOL. I was looking for John and Maria Atkinson (common names) so tried searching for each in turn, also adding their place of birth. John was born at Bishop Wilton and Maria at Huttons Ambo. That provided no hits so then I tried their grandson Cecil Atkinson, who'd been living with them in the previous census. That brought up the family but John's pob was transcribed as Bishops Gibraltar & Maria's as Munk Bugsters.
    In mitigation, the writing is appalling and I could only decipher Bishop Wilton because I knew what it was supposed to say. As for the entry for Maria, even local knowledge of the area didn't help. I shall ask my Bishop Wilton contact if their house is near the big rock.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Lol Janet, I think that's one of the funniest transcriptions I ever heard of :D Well done for perseverance and finding them.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oh dear, 1911 records their son as born at Hutton Ainks (could have been worse and said Hutton Oinks.)
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I would never have found OH's ancestor if someone on GR hadn't thought to try using only a child's 1st name with parents' first names ...........

Hayhurst was transcribed as Porst, and birth place was nothing transcribed as nothing like what I was looking for!
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Hi Sylvia, sometimes it's like tackling a difficult cryptic crossword, isn't it? Only without knowing the number of letters in the answer, nor having any letters as clues. ;D I like to think it's good exercise for my brain and that the workout helps fend off dementia.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet ............

It's certainly a good brain exercise ........... OH does the crosswords, I try to work what a) the transcribers have done, and b) what our ancestors must have said! I think we both give our brains a good workout!

I find that among the worst ones are those who have moved from a village in the south to a town in the north (or vice versa) .... I find myself sitting here trying to say a word in their dialect and working how the enumerator might have heard it.

Sometimes I'm just glad that that OH is often out, and no-one can hear me :D

I do hope that I learn from each new "experience"
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Jay,

This is where good old local knowledge comes to the fore isn't it? on Saturday we took the children to our local library and I discovered a booklet in the LS part it had some old hand drawn maps of Kirkby Village which I hadn't seen before and also some information about the inhabitants and names of the 'alleys' that came off the main road.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Wonderful things, libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                  Indeed, and places I've always loved because of the treasures they house.

When I first had access to the internet, friends asked me what on earth was the point of it. I told them that it was a wonderful facility and was like having brought the British library into my home.

Over the years many of those sceptics have requested " can you find out something about x for me, please?" whilst the very hardest to convince is now saying "I looked online ....." :D

Jay
                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-07-17, 13:00.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                    Yes, I love libraries! In my local village library I found the history someone had written which included a map with houses and inhabitants' names (there were very few houses then). It showed me where my 4x great grandfather used to live. The house is no longer there, but I used to pass by this property frequently as a child on my way to play in the beechwoods.
                    Jenny

Comment

YouTube is a surprising resource for old photos. I just came across a "slide show" of photos of Rotherham in the 50s and 60s, the tine when I was growing up.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                      X