Dade baptism register - help with deciphering a surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dade baptism register - help with deciphering a surname

I was lucky enough to stumble upon a Dade register when I searching for my Yorkshire ancestors - unfortunately I'm struggling to decipher the maiden name of William Awty's mother Mary - her father is Richard and he is a farmer but I'm struggling with the surname - link to the 2 records but if I'm allowed to post screen shots I can (Mods guidance please). I think it is Milnor but I'm then struggling to find any other record for a Milnor. (probably not looking hard enough!)

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

It looks unambiguously like Milnor to me. On findmypast there are quite a few Milnor records (including a smattering of Richard Milnor) but there is definitely a lack of modern ones (just 201 post 1900, I think). Of course, Milnor -> Milner would be an easy transition in pre-literate times and even Milnor->Miller is not implausible in records.

Comment

I read both as MilnOr, rather than MilnEr - compare with Miller in the same entries.
      Yes the very early Dade registers are wonderful, until the incumbents got fed up of entering the full pedigrees and stopped meeting the suggested format.
      I have one baptismal entry which detailed child, parents, grandparents, two great-great grandfathers and the names of the farms where all the parties lived.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
      X