Clarence George Keep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarence George Keep

Can anyone find Clarence George Keep AFTER 1911 census please?

(born Bishop Wilton East Yorkshire, only child of James Keep and Martha, nee Atkinson. Birth reg Q4 1900 & was bp Clarence George at Bishop Wilton 16 Sep 1900. He was in the parental home in Bishop Wilton in 1901 & 1911. Mother died 1924 and father thought to have died in 1944.)

There was an earlier Clarence Keep born 1895.

I've found nothing conclusive in the 1939 register (his widowed father was a living-in farm servant) marriages, deaths, commonwealth war graves,newspapers or passenger lists and have now gone Clarence blind. Perhaps he wasn't fond of the name Clarence and used a different forename???
    All suggestions welcome!

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 21-07-17, 12:02.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Just had a look and the only thing I have found is bap, 1901 and 1911 census.

There is also a silver medal given out to a C G Keep in 1917 on his release from service due to sickness. The only thing is he joined the army in 1914.

I know they joined young but that seems very young.

If you think it is relevant will send exact details.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Found this but your Clarence may have been young to be this chap, Jay......

Jacky

Comment

could this be him

First name(s) Last name Sex Age Birth year Occupation
        Amy Beatrice Keep Female - - Domestic Duties
        Clarence George Keep Male - - Labourer
        Eva Keep Female - - Domestic Duties
        Ernest Henry Keep Male - - Labourer
        Henry Flower Keep Male - - Farmer
        Joseph Arthur Keep Male - - Labourer
        Mary Ann Keep Female - - Domestic Duties
        May Keep Female - - Domestic Duties
        Myrtle Jane Keep Female - - Domestic Duties
        William Henry Keep Male - - No Occupation
        Number 1209
        House name -
        Street -
        Address Spreyton
        Place Spreyton
        Sub-district Kentish
        District Darwin
        State Tasmania
        Country Australia
        Page 21
        Record set Australia Electoral Rolls
        Category Census, land & surveys
        Subcategory Electoral Rolls

Comment

Looks like the info Tilly Mint and I have found could match up but is he your man?
          Lin

Comment

Oh, wow, you have all been busy whilst I've been out on a social call;D (I collect and deliver medications for an elderly gentleman and usually stay for a chat.)
            I'm sure the man on the war memorial is "mine" - stupidly, I hadn't looked for a military record as Clarence would only have been in the war towards the very end, due to his age. Lovely picture of BW war memorial (another member of my family tree is on there - different line - and I have visited the memorial, but some years ago, so probably before I knew about Clarence )
            Val, you could well be on to something there, as Clarence's Mum's sister emigrated to Queensland in 1886 - maybe he fancied a change of scene?? Tasmania fits in with something that Tilly Mint has referred me to, which I am about to investigate. I know the world's a big place, but I would have thought that Clarence George Keep was a fairly unusual name combination?

Thanks girls, I'll get a coffee and then get back to you all in a bit. What a difference fresh sets of eyes can make when one is bogged down through looking.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

shame there are no birth years mentioned on it

Comment

With regards to the Tasmania links provided by Val an Tilly Mint:

1) the Australian headstone for Clarence George Keep recorded "Died in 1967, aged 58yrs" (so, born c1909) It's always possible that a digit was carved incorrectly, or that those giving the information didn't know the correct year of birth.
                2) Do the above dates correspond with the date of the electoral roll in Val's post?
                3)Is the electoral roll for the same household and in the same year? In which case it possibly suggests a Keep household consisting of more that Clarence George, his wife and children. (Clarence was an only child and his father was James Keep.)

So, I'm not sure about an Australian connection, although I am a bit surprised to find another Clarence Keep with the same middle name, and if he is a different chap, where's mine??

Jay
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 21-07-17, 15:59.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                  Just had a look and the only thing I have found is bap, 1901 and 1911 census.

There is also a silver medal given out to a C G Keep in 1917 on his release from service due to sickness. The only thing is he joined the army in 1914.

I know they joined young but that seems very young.

If you think it is relevant will send exact details.
                  Lin, is this the reference for Private C G Keep 31082 Northamptonshire Regt, served 14 Nov 1914 - 16 Aug 1917?
                  if so, it seems he was private CHARLES G Keep :(

I'm sure the Clarence on the Bishop Wilton war memorial is my guy, but don't think he is the one who served with the Buffs from 7 Sep 1914, as he was born at High Wycombe.
                  As yet, can't find another Clarence though. Perhaps he was called up very late and never served overseas. (I have a similar problem with a young man in a war project I'm doing. He is on the roll of honour of those who served, but according to a family member, due to his age he was called up at the very end of the war, was sent to France for one week when he looked after horses and then came home. As yet, I can't positively identify him in any of the sets of military records.)

Jay
                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 21-07-17, 16:58.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I see there on the FMP index that there was an earlier Clarence George Keep in NSW in 1869 Perhaps he was the founder of the Australian dynasty and the name also filtered back to the family of Thomas (father of my Clarence) who was born in Berkshire in 1869. I've just looked at the marriage cert of Clarence's parents and there is no information about the groom's father.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet

The soldier I saw was ref 31082. I did look to see if I could find anyone else with the same initials but failed. I thought he was too old to be yours as he joined in 1914.

Like you I couldn't find another Clarence in the same area.
                      Lin

Comment

Lin, I think I didn't explain myself properly, sorry. I post as I am thinking - probably a bad move and instead I should firstly write down on paper whilst I am thinking, then review it before posting.

Soldier 31082 was named Charles G Keep.
                        Soldier Clarence Keep 3358 (in the Buffs) was born at High Wycombe, so neither is my man.
                        I cannot find records for another soldier named Clarence Keep, but I believe the man named on the village war memorial is the Clarence I am seeking.
                        I now think it likely that the Tasmanian references are not for my Clarence.
                        So I am still at square one!

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The soldier I found on FMP was just C G Keep and his number was 31082 so not yours as you have found he was Charles G keep.

The war memorial looks good if we could find his death anywhere.

Not very much to go on at all.
                          Lin

Comment

Working...
                          X