Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Huguenot ancestor: Charles Bargeau

This will be a long post, so apologies.

All clues point to my Charles Bargeau having been from Spitalfields in Middlesex/London. I guesstimate that he was born in about 1735. He had brothers John, Joseph and Francis. There was, possibly, at least on other sibling, sex undetermined. Through FamilySearch, I've found a Francis Bargeau, son of John and Margaret, christened at Christ Church 21 September 1740. Also, a Francis Bargeau of Middlesex, son of John Bargeau of Spitalfields, Middlesex, deceased, was apprenticed to Robert Bayley, Draper, 17 April 1755. There is mention of a Charles Bargeau, son of John Bargeau, late of Spitalfields, being apprenticed as a goldsmith in 1749 in Volume 14 of the Proceedings of the Huguenot Society of London. A John Bargeau was buried in Spitalfields 20 May 1745, and a Margaret Bargeau 26 June 1743.

I first discovered Charles Bargeau in a collection of documents here in North Carolina known as The John Gray Blount Papers. There are 4 volumes and most of what I know of him comes from Volume 3. In this volume, there are a series of letters concerning him and a Legacy of South Sea Annuities which he inherited through the marriage agreement of the parents of a Mary Fitzgerald of Charles Street, St. James Square in London. In her letters, Ms. Fitzgerald calls him "uncle," though through which parent is never stated. At the time of the correspondence (1796-1799), Mr. Bargeau is living in Hyde County, North Carolina, near Lake Mattamuskeet, under the assumed name of Henry Williamson. There is one letter in particular, written by Henry Williamson to Mary Fitzgerald, dated 29 October 1796, where he talks about the fates of his brothers:

...all the Information I have respecting My Brothers -- John the eldest died at Lisben about 25 Years ago in the house of Messrs Mayne & Co. without issue--Joseph went to the East Indies about 44 Years ago & not since heard of by me -- Francis died a Midshipman on board the Griffen Man of War at Antigua, Thomas Taylor, Captain, about 24 Years ago...
    And, in fact, I've found a notice in the Gazeta de Lisboa, August 1796, concerning the Legacy, urging John, Joseph, and/or Francis or their heirs to appear in Chancery Court, London either on or by (my translation, via Google, is unclear) 28 November 1796. Also there is a book listing the proprietors of South Sea Annuities as yet unpaid as of 10 October 1842 which includes "Charles Bargeau, by the name of Henry Williamson Hyde, County of Mattamuskeet, North Carolina" being entitled to 3 dividends which were available for collection beginning in July 1796.

Henry Williamson/Charles Bargeau, died in late 1802, leaving his widow, Ann, and six children: Nancy Hall, Mary Swindell, Fannie Swindell (my ancestor), Thomas Williamson, Peter LaCuse Williamson, and Sarah Williamson.

The name Peter LeCuse may be a clue. I know the family of Le Keux were prominent silk weavers in the Huguenot community of Spitalfields and there were several named Peter. I've found a marriage between John Le Keux of Norton Folgate and Mary Bargeau of Christ Church 10 April 1735 in St. Michael, Cornhill and another marriage in St. George's between a Mary Le Keux (of Christ Church) and Keane Fitzgerald 29 October 1788. What the connect is, if any, I don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Becky

I came across your post by chance when doing a Google searchon Bargeau. My main interest here was actually Le Keux as I was trying toclarify that Mary Bargeau was the mother of the Mary Fitzgerald.
    The Mary Fitzgerald of Charles Street, whom you mention wasthe wife of Keane Fitzgerald was indeed born Mary Le Keux (1753 - 1828) so she would havebeen correct in referring to Charles Bargeau as Uncle.
    Mary’s parents were Peter Le Keux (1716-1768) and Mary Bargeau (c. 1718? – 1788) They married on 24th July 1751, at Holy Trinity Church, Clapham in Surrey, by Licence (parish register).

A report of the marriage appeared in the General eveningPost, 27th July 1751

Yesterday was marriedat Clapham by the Rev. Mr Brady, MrPeter Le Keux, of Spittlefields to Mrs Le Keux of same place, an agreeable ladywith a considerable fortune.
    This was Mary Bargeau’s second marriage, the first one beingto the John Le Keux you mention in 1735. I haven’t been able to find out whenher first husband died.
    There is a document in the Northamptonshire Record Office(ZA 6433) dated 24th July1788, which confirms that Peter Le Keux and Mary Le Keux, widow intended tomarry and refers to an indenture they signed (as a marriage settlement Iimagine) dated 23rd July 1751.
    Mary Bargeau/Le Keux died on 16th May 1788 [Her will is in PCC (PROB 11/1167)] and left most of her assetsto her daughter Mary. The above document was actually instigated by thedaughter prior to her marriage to Keane Fitzgerald as she wished to sort outher financial situation before they married.
    Mary and Keane Fitzgerald had no children.
    Incidently the notice in the Gazeta de Lisboa first appeared in the London Gazette 28 May 1791 .
    Hope this helps.

Best Wishes
    GJ

Comment

Thank you so much. This was a big help, especially the Gazette article. It states that Mary Bargeau LeKeux was their half-sister, which means she would have been born before 1718. Jean Bargeau and Marguerite Perochon were married in March of that year and their eldest son, Jean, was born the following February. The parish record, however, states that the elder Jean was a widower. A bigger question, for me, is why Charles Bargeau was living under an assumed name in the first place, and why he chose Henry Williamson?

Thanks again,
      Becky

Comment

Working...
      X