X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage look up

Frederick Harry Alderson b:1916 in Haslingden Lancs

I am trying to find the marriage of Frederick's parents

On Frederick's marriage certificate George Alderson is given as his fathers name and he lived in Accrington Lancs and on his birth certificate his mothers maiden name is Matthews.

I have no idea where they married.

could be this one
    GEORGE
    Last name ALDERSON
    Marriage quarter 2
    Marriage year 1895
    Registration month -
    MarriageFinder™ GEORGE ALDERSON married one of these people
    Sarah Jones, Margaret Ann Matthews
    District Wrexham
    District number -
    County Denbighshire
    Country Wales
    Volume 11B
    Page 440

Comment

Thank-you Val, I will look at that one and see where it takes me.

Comment

its the only one I could find for those names, wonder if any other children were born before Frederick ?

Comment

maybe a sibling

Name: Alderson George Sedgwick
          Mother's Maiden Surname:
          Matthews
          GRO Reference: 1898 S Quarter in WREXHAM Volume 11B Page 238

Comment

from lancs bmd

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1915

ALDERSON Frederick Harry MATTHEWS Accrington Preston ACC/128/82

What is his mother's forename(s) on Frederick's birth certificate???

Do they match that marriage that Val found??
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Is this the George and Margaret Ann in 1939??

Alderson Household (4 People) 7 Perth Street , Accrington M.B., Lancashire, England

George Alderson 30 Mar 1875 Tena Cotta Worker
              Margaret A Alderson 27 Jan 1875 Invalid Home Duties
              Grosvenor Alderson 11 Jun 1900 Passed Fireman L M S
              Gweny (Gwentain May) Alderson 01 May 1902 House Keeper

no further information on the image
              No closed records
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Frederick is with his wife in 1939 .....

Alderson Household (2 People) 80 Willows Lane , Accrington M.B., Lancashire, England

Frederick H Alderson 03 Dec 1915 Assistant Cook In Food Factory
                Hilda M Alderson (Campbell) 23 Oct 1914 Cotton Heald Knitter

Comment

????????

This is the family of George Sedgewick, Grosvenor and Gwen in 1911, still in Wales

1911 Census

George Sedgwick Alderson
                  b ca 1899, Ruabon, Denbighshire, Wales
                  Address 1911:- Llwynenion Cottage Rhos Ruabon

George Alderson 36 b.ca 1875, Terra Cotta Worker (Modeller)
                  Margaret Ann Alderson 36
                  Mary Doris Alderson 14
                  George Sedgwick Alderson 12
                  Grosvenor Sedgwick Alderson 10
                  Gwenfron May Alderson 8
                  Esther Alderson 1

Comment

This is my family.

Sylvia, the mothers forename matches the marriage Val found and the address on George and Margaret Ann 1939 register entry of 7, Perth Street matches the address on Frederick's marriage certificate.

The other 1939 registry entry for Frederick and Hilda Mary has her maiden name as Campbell but the marriage certificate has the surname Cumberlidge, but it is them, the birth dates and profession match the marriage certificate. Hilda Mary was a spinster when she married so I presume that it was transcribed incorrectly?

Thank you all for another piece of my family.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Surfer View Post
                      The other 1939 registry entry for Frederick and Hilda Mary has her maiden name as Campbell but the marriage certificate has the surname Cumberlidge, but it is them, the birth dates and profession match the marriage certificate. Hilda Mary was a spinster when she married so I presume that it was transcribed incorrectly?

Thank you all for another piece of my family.
                      I think you will find that Campbell refers to a later name. There is a possible marriage in Blackburn in 1982 of a Hilda M Alderson to Arthur Campbell.
                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 15-07-17, 07:41.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Looking at the green dates etc on the actual 1939 page and also her death under Alderson, I wonder if she married in 1982 and was divorced or it was annulled in 1984?

Comment

I have her death aged 93 under Alderson in Blackburn so looking for divorce/annulment information is new to me if she did marry Arthur. Would I be able to find these details? also how has information of a second marriage in 1982 come to be documented on the 1939 census, please can you explain......I'm still learning!!

Comment

I believe that later marriages etc were noted on the 1939 register. I'm afraid I don't know how to check for divorce or annulment, it was just a thought as the copious notes in green appeared to suggest something in those years and because she died under the name Alderson and was born as Cumberlidge.
                            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 15-07-17, 09:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              I believe that later marriages etc were noted on the 1939 register. I'm afraid I don't know how to check for divorce or annulment, it was just a thought as the copious notes in green appeared to suggest something in those years and because she died under the name Alderson and was born as Cumberlidge.
                              I believe the reason the register was updated with name changes was because it was later used by the NHS. I don't think there's much for divorces that late. Newspapers might be worth a try. Our local one regularly reported divorces in the 50s and 60s but later only went for sources of scandal!
                              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I agree with Chrissie. The green notes on the image show that Hilda's name was Alderson in 1939; later changed to Campbell and then later still changed to Alderson. That may mean she married SOMEONE ELSE called Alderson after Mr Campbell was no longer around.
                                Anne

Comment

I think it's more likely that she just reverted to Alderson. Perhaps Mr Campbell turned out to be married already or he wasn't a nice man?
                                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 15-07-17, 09:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                    I think it's more likely that she just reverted to Alderson. Perhaps Mr Campbell turned out to be married already or he wasn't a nice man?
                                    Or maybe he died and she preferred to be known by the name she had grown used to?

No, Looks as though Arthur Campbell died in Blackburn in 1993 (making some assumptions about age and district.)

OR ..... whisper it quietly ..... maybe the register update was a mistake????? Although I agree the marriage looks likely!

Anne
                                    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 15-07-17, 10:10.

Comment

I think Arthur Campbell may have married Nellie Gratrix in Blackburn first in Sept 1918. Just before their son was born. I have been trying to find out what happened to Nellie (probably born Sept 1910 in Salford) but without success.

Comment

Working...
                                      X