birth record question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birth record question

I'm new to genealogy research. I have a father's name (he is deceased) and I'm trying to verify the birth info on his children (still living but I can't contact them).
    The births took place around the year 2000 in Texas. Is there a way I can search birth records with only the father's name? Any free sites or does everything require a fee or subscription?

Thanks

Sorry I can't help as I'm not familiar with American research. Welcome to FTF though and I hope someone will come along soon who can answer your query
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I don't know anything about US records except they are kept state by state ....... but if they are anything like the Canadian, there is a blackout on recent bmds being available online

One possible line MIGHT be an announcement of the children's birth in the local newspaper
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

If the father is deceased might the children be named in an obituary notice.?

Comment

There are some Texas Births available at FamilySearch here.

Comment

Welcome to ftf!
            but I don't think I have good news for you. Here's familysearch's wiki about Texas births:

and especially look at what's above this line:
            NOTE: A copy of the birth certificate cannot be obtained by anyone except those listed above until 75 years have passed from the date of the birth.

Sometimes even if the birth cert can't be purchased, there might be an index, but I'm not seeing anything in that wiki page beyond 1997.

So, if you know where the births took place, you could try to find the local newspaper, and hope for a birth announcement.

Also, if born in 2000, they might be close to graduation, or appear in school year books. If you know where they are...

Wills and probates are public record. If you know where the father died, you could try to locate those, and hope there are details of the children. Note that trusts are quite different, and usually not public. Property records are.

And if you want to spend the $$, an heir hunter might help

Comment

Oh, and -
              social media - facebook and others. Lots of people found that way.

Comment

Unfortunately, due to family dynamics that I can't elaborate on, I don't know the birth names of the two children I'm looking for. The father is deceased and the mother has changed her name and is uncooperative with the family.
                I was hoping I could find a source to search birth records but I'm not having any luck. It seems that many newspapers have stopped printing birth announcements like they used to.
                For one child, I know the birth date but not the full name. For the second child, I have no information, just a year range of when the birth happened.

Comment

Are death certificates easily obtained in texas? Do they record family details?

Comment

Did he leave a will ?
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

The father died in California, no family details.

Comment

There was no will.

Comment

Does anyone know if I can search the Census from 2000?

Thanks

Comment

no censuses that late
                            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I guess you could put an ad in the local papers where he died or the largest city he lived in inTexas asking for his relatives to get in contact.

Comment

Originally posted by gwstiles View Post
                                Does anyone know if I can search the Census from 2000?

Thanks
                                US has a 72 year seal on its censuses. It's less than the UK ;)

Comment

There was no will.
                                  Nor obit? I understand LA obits are a bear to find, but presumably it happened this century, so it could be online - perhaps even thru google.

Comment

Unfortunately, due to family dynamics that I can't elaborate on, I don't know the birth names of the two children I'm looking for. The father is deceased and the mother has changed her name and is uncooperative with the family.
                                    I was hoping I could find a source to search birth records but I'm not having any luck. It seems that many newspapers have stopped printing birth announcements like they used to.
                                    For one child, I know the birth date but not the full name. For the second child, I have no information, just a year range of when the birth happened.
                                    With a DOB and surname. Hmm. Born in 2000, the child hasn't yet reached his/her majority, so I suspect info might be more protected. Nonetheless, how are your facebook skills? Hope the surname is unusual?
                                    Do you know where the mother is, and her current name and DOB? There are people-finding services that will also tell you who else is in the household.
                                    I'd feel more comfortable if this thread were moved to the sensitive section. It still doesn't allow names of Living Persons, but it keeps web crawlers out.

Comment

No reputable agency will help you find minors in the UK so I expect it is the same in the USA.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                      X