english subjects born in france

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• english subjects born in france

i'm tracking a man called george hopkins, (pianoforte tuner) born c.1824 boulogne sur mer, france according to his death in 1905, marrickville NSW. 1864 birth of dau caroline (inn keeper) in nerrigundah, NSW states france, as does 1857 birth of george frederick (wine and spirit merchant) in collingwood, VIC. father james hopkins of independant means according to death cert, mother unknown.

wife was lucinda rosetta brown (d.1893 sydney, he is listed as pianoforte maker), apparently married 1857, melbourne VIC according to records. no marriage found, and got me wondering if george was married prior, as he was 34 when he supposedly married lucy.

there is a george hopkins b.1824 france, british subject in marylebone 1851. occupation boarding house. has a wife eliza a. b.1824, surrey and a son walter 2 mths b.marylebone. checking GRO indexes gives walter's birth in 1851, mother's maiden name smith.

george hopkins married eliza anne smith 1845, st pancras. occuption wine merchant, father william hopkins, gentleman. walter was christened in 1864 at st mildred poultry, london. parents given as george and eliza a. hopkins, father provider of ?governesses.

there is no trace of the george hopkins with wife eliza after 1851, and no real luck prior to 1845. george hopkins with wife lucinda arrived in melbourne 1852, aboard the "sydney" on his own (george hopkins, 29, 3rd cabin). so timing fits.

there are no births for george hopkins in boulogne sur mer according to the civil registration indexes, but there are 2 francis hopkins births in 1826 and 1827. there are english names in the indexes, but if english people lived in france, would they register their children with the french? or would they have them baptised in private

since george's mother is unknown, it is possible she was french. or the family was mercantile, in the army, etc.

can anyone help at all?

Have been looking for you as I did get to grips with the French info a little bit for my research, is he the chap in prison 1870?

The family I looked at from Leicester registered their children in France and it gave a lot of details.
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I can't find Walter but wondered if this is connected

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Eliza A Hopkins 36.....?scholastic agent
      Ths Smith 40
      Charlotte Storkham 50

It's a longshot as bells rang when I saw Smith but he is born in Leeds but it brought to mind... provider of ?governesses...looking at Eliza's occupation
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Perhaps he dropped the John?
        He named his daughter Caroline, after his mother?

From Familysearch
        Non Conformist Registers RG33
        Baptism of John George Hopkins 2 Dec 1824 Boulogne, France
        Father's Name: William Hopkins
        Mother's Name: Caroline

A possible brother, helpfully giving mother's maiden name.
        Baptism of John Hopkins 18 Nov 1829 Boulogne, France
        Father: William Hopkins
        Mother: Caroline Symons

The PCC will for a John Hopkins of Boulogne, France (proved 1848) mentions his deceased son William and William's widow 'Caroline Symons ?Frances Hopkins'.

I have no idea if the above hinders or helps Hope it's the latter

Chris
        Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Oh chris! That looks wonderful! Elaine, i think you're onto something there!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            Oh chris! That looks wonderful! Elaine, i think you're onto something there!
            Hi Chris,

I had a quick look this afternoon and I found this in the archives of Boulogne sur Mer (http://www.archivespasdecalais.fr/Ar...-civil/Actes):

- A baby has been given the name of John Hopkins on April 22nd 1824, by William Hopkins (28 y.o) and Caroline Barnes. The baby is born on April 19th @6pm. The witnesses were a doctor (Dunand I believe) and a baker, two friends of William. (p 1073)

- A baby was born, a daughter, on April 22nd 1826. She was named Frances Hopkins. Father William Hopkins and mother Caroline Simons Barnes. She died 16 months later unfortunately, on Sept 3rd 1827. (p 251)

- A baby was born, a daughter again, on Nov 15th 1827. She was named Frances Grace Hopkins. Father William Hopkins and mother Caroline Barnes. She died 5 weeks after, on Dec 19th 1827. (p 285)

- A baby was born, a son, on June 7th 1829, and declared on 9th at 5.30pm. He was named John Hopkins. Father William Hopkins and mother Caroline Barnes. (p 1018)

Each time the age of william is given and matches so I really believe it corresponds to the same person. He was a landlord, born around 1796.

Let me know if I can help more.

Rgds,

M.

Comment

Thanks to the information supplied by ichabod I found this marriage on Ancestry.

London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921
              St George Hanover Square

William Hopkins Bachelor a Minor of the Parish of Rygate in the County of Surrey and Caroline Symons Barnes of this Parish Spinster were married in this Church by Licence by and with consent of John Hopkins the Natural and Lawful Father of the said Minor this twentieth day of November in the year 1814 by me ? Williams A M Curate
              Both William and Caroline signed.
              Witnesses John Hopkins and Sarah Isabel Hopkins. Both signed.

'Rygate' is probably 'Reigate'

Chris
              Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Thank you for finding these records! I can't see the non conformist ones from familysearch on ancestry? Are they included in the collection?

Ichabod, how did you find the actual french entries for boulogne? I couldn't access the link you gave.

Comment

Yeah you have to get rid of the signs ): at the end of the link.

Then in the fields:
                  - "lieu" means place(i.e.boulogne sur mer)
                  - "année" means year
                  - "recherche par type d'acte" means search by type of civil act: "naissances" means births, "décès" means deaths, etc...
                  then you'll find scanned images of the years, you'll have to navigate into the images to find the right one.

Comment

Working...
                  X