Help finding them on 1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding them on 1911 census

Marriage certificate of John Mellor and Shirley J Steer 21.12.1968 Scarborough, Yorkshire

He is 63 she is 29. His Father was Edward Mellor (deceased) a Butcher's Manager.

John was born c1907, can anyone find him with his Father on 1911 census, because I can't.

Presuming this was in Yorkshire

Thanks

Linda

Linda

There is a John in Wombwell Yorks with father Edwin Saunderson Mellor who is a Meat Salesman. Mother Emma.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks Lin I will check it out

Linda

Comment

Edwin S Mellors died 1936.

He is on the 1901 census with wife Sarah so if it is him he has been married before.
        Lin

Comment

What was John's occupation on the marriage cert Linda? I wondered if it might narrow him down in 1939.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Do you know when/where John died Linda? The only John Mellor death I can find in Scarborough was born in 1909.

Comment

Hi Chrissie,

On the marriage cert 1968 it gives John's age as 61 and a widower... only 2 years out?? His occupation was a poultryman

Linda

Comment

If the death Chrissie has found is right his birth on that is 20 Aug 1909.

1939 has a John Mellor born 20 Aug 1907 unemployed living with Arthur and Maude Helmes in Cudworth.

Everything is guesswork at the moment.
                Lin

Comment

Have just checked to see whether Arthur may have married a Mellor, but it turns out that their name is actually Nelmes (not Helmes) and he married Edith Maud Cotton, so no help there! There are so many John Mellor births, including those that would fit with 20th August 1907 AND 1909 that it's a minefield.

Of course John could also have been one of the ones who aren't with parents in 1911 and he may not even have known his father. He may have picked up the Edward and the butcher connection from someone he knew or lived with.

Do you any other clues that might help Linda i.e. when/where he died etc.

Comment

I found his first marriage in 1963 to Sarah A Rayner. Names of witnesses on marriage to Shirley 1968 cert are K Rayner and it looks like P Rayner

Linda

Comment

Going back to the John Mellor that Lin found in 1911 in #2. Edwin Sanderson Mellor appears to have married Sarah Ellen Jackson in Sept 1891 in Sheffield. There is a possible death of Sarah Ellen Mellor aged 30 in Barnsley in Sept 1902 and a marriage to Emma Sharp in June 1905 Dewsbury. John appears to have been born - Sep 1907 John Mellor mmn Sharp in Barnsley Ref 9c 283. This would fit with a 20th August birth.

How sure are you about those marriages Linda? The only death in Scarborough I can find for the possible first wife you gave in 1963 is died June 1968 aged 90, born c1878. So she would have been much older than John.

Comment

If you have something with 'your' John's signature on you could compare it with this marriage of brother Walter. John looks like one of the witnesses -

Comment

Chrissie, I had also had a look for a death for the first wife and came up with the same thing.

Linda, If you tell all you definitely know about him I'm sure some of this will fit in.
                          Lin

Comment

Well this is for a friend, her Auntie is the Shirley Steer who married John Mellor, she ran away from home when she was very young and then is 1968 sent her Dad a Christmas card and said she was marrying her 'darling John on 21st December in Scarborough'.

Then they heard nothing else until in the mid 70's the police came to the door and said they had a female in Mayday Hospital Croydon where they lived asking foe them. She said she was having miscarriage but it turned out to be an overdose ...by the time they got there she had discharged herself. She had told staff that she had left John.

So it is more about her we know than him. My friend has, today, sent of for what she thinks may be his first marriage certificate to see if that gives any clues.

Thanks for all the help and interest

Linda

Comment

Might be better waiting for the marriage cert and see what that says otherwise we could just be clutching at straws.

Did the marriage cert you already have say he was a widower?

Please let us know what the new cert says about him.
                              Last edited by Lin Fisher; 10-07-17, 16:49.
                              Lin

Comment

Yes the cert did say he was a widower.

I will put up a post when the new certificate arrives.

Thanks for your help so far

Linda

Comment

Certificate arrived. Married Sarah Annie Rayner 23rd December 1963

A bit of a discrepancy with Sarah's age.. he was a bachelor aged 56 and she was a widow aged 75. She died 2nd quarter of 1968 and he married Shirley 21st December 1968.

Comment

Hi Linda

Just having another look but only got about 30 mins an the moment.

There is a will for Sarah Annie Mellor. Died 26 Jun 1968 of 60 Westborough Scarborough. Effects £775.
                                    Lin

Comment

Still not finding much else apart from what we have found in previous replies.

Sorry.
                                      Lin

Comment

Thanks everyone...thanks Lin. Might get that will and see if it tells us anything more. Can't see a Will for him

Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X