Married to whom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married to whom?

THOMPSON ALDERSON (b:1872 in Hutton Hang, Yorks. his parents are Christopher & Ann 1841)

Marriage Index in 1894 - Durham: Volume10a: Page 46 has 3 female possibilities:- Cleminson Garthwaite, Christiana Greaves, Harriet Vasey & Ada Harrison
    Why 3 females for 2 males listed?

My deduction has shown that Cleminson Garthwaite & Christiana Greaves married.

FMP shows Harriet Vasey - married one of these people Thompson Alderson or Cleminson Garthwaite, as one is already accounted for, it looks like he married Harriet but... I have Thompson working as a farm servant on the 1891 census and also Ada Harrison as a Domestic Servant!
    1901 Census I can find a Thomas (not Thompson) Alderson 29 (right age, born in Bedale 7m away from Hutton Hang) married to an Ada J aged 28 children Gertrude 4 & Christopher 1

If this the marriage correct, then who did Harriet end up marrying ?

If I order a marriage certificate who do I name as his wife?

If I have the right death in 1960 then Probate leaves his money to his wife Ethel.

Ada Alderson died abt: 1900 not long after the birth of her son Christopher, but I cannot find a second marriage for Thompson or him and his children on the 1911 census.

Your help is always appreciated.
    Last edited by Silver Surfer; 01-07-17, 10:22.

There is a possible re-marriage in 1910 for Thompson to Ethel Gray - Name: Thompson Alderson
    Year: 1910
    Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
    district: Darlington
    County: Durham
    Volume: 10a
    Page: 64

Sue
    Sue

Comment

If you do order a marriage certificate you don't have to name a wife at all. Just give his name and the GRO references. Often the main reason for odering a marriage cert is to find out who a person married.

The indexes may have been wrongly transcribed and one of those brides will be missing from another page somewhere. I never believe FMP if they specify that the person married one of the brides. So many times I have found them wrong and they have not altered it despite me informing them. In two cases I had the actual certificate proving they were wrong!!

Anne

Comment

I usually look in the next census - Christian name and year and place of birth. When the husband's name comes up then look him up separately for a marriage and see if it tallies.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Yes, JBee but I have a number of couples where the bride died and the groom married someone else with the same name between censuses!
          Anne

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Gertrude, d/o Thompson & Ada

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

From the GRO birth index -

GARTHWAITE, ANA mmn GREAVES
              Q2 1896 in Darlington reg dist.

So, perhaps there is a mistake in the marriage indexing, or the name of one male (pairing with Harriet) is missing??

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I think Ada died in Q3 1901 aged 29. There is also a death for an infant Ada mmn HARRISON 0 yrs, same qtr, same Reg Dist (Weardale.)

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Re wife Ethel & probate -
                  In Q2 1923 Thomas W Alderson married Ethel Airey (Auckland Dist)
                  1939 register - William (T Thomas William) Airey & Ethel were in Shildon
                  William born 1901, Ethel 1903 - if this is the couple you found the will for, then I don't think it is your Thompson/Thomas

Jay
                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-07-17, 11:24.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

How about this couple instead?

1939 - 78 Victoria Rd Darlington
                    Thompson Alderson 27 Oct 1873
                    Ethel Alderson 22 Dec 1873
                    Arthur Alderson 1922
                    Gladys 1916

FreeBMD
                    births
                    1922 Arthur Alderson mmn Gay
                    1916 Alderson Gertrude mmn Gay

marr
                    1910 Darlington
                    Thompson Alderson & Ethel Gay

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-07-17, 11:38.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet, thank you for all your information. The probate is not the one I have but the couple at Victoria Rd are correct and Ada's death in Q3 is also correct but I did miss the infant. His first daughter Gertrude Amelia must have died before 1916 as Thompson christened his daughter by his second wife Ethel, Gertrude, that's one for me to look at.

Sue, The marriage you found in 1910 looks correct

Ann & J Bee, thank you for your information, I will take it all on board.

Comment

Oh Chrissie your'e a gem finding that 1911 census but that now poses the question "What happened to his 2 children Gertrude and Christopher" they are not with their grandparents so I will go through all their 13 siblings to see if anyone took took them in. So sad they didn't stay with their father.
                        Last edited by Silver Surfer; 03-07-17, 07:46.

Comment

Am just looking for the children but in the meantime, it looks as though Ada Jane had twins who died at birth and she died too -
                          ALDERSON, ADA mmn HARRISON - GRO Reference: 1901 S Quarter in WEARDALE Volume 10A Page 333
                          ALDERSON, JANE mmn HARRISON - GRO Reference: 1901 S Quarter in WEARDALE Volume 10A Page 333

Deaths Sep 1901
                          Alderson Ada 0 Weardale 10a 195
                          Alderson Ada Jane 29 Weardale 10a 195
                          Alderson Jane 0 Weardale 10a 196
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The only sign I can find of Christopher (Born Christopher Anthony Walton Alderson) is a sort of POSSIBLE death aged 5 in Glandford Brigg Lincolnshire in 1905 but that is for a Christopher A H Alderson, which I can't find a matching birth for under any surname between 1898 and 1905 and in an odd place.

The only POSSIBLE marriage etc I can find is for Sep 1914 - Alderson Gertrude A to Alexander Laheney - Middlesbro Ref 9d 1248. There is a death in Mar 1945 for Laheney Gertrude A 46 in Middlesbro' Ref 9d 634. In 1939 she is listed as a widow but as Amelia Gertrude Laheney, a widow, though I can't find a death for Alexander. Two possible daughters born in 1920 and 1924 in Middlesboro, one of whom may be redacted in 1939. The other of course could have left home by then.

Sorry, not very conclusive but the best I could find unless they changed their surnames, or went abroad or something. I can't find a likely war death fro Christopher under that name either.

Comment

Chris, the discovery of Ada having given birth to twins was a little saddening as there are other twins in the Alderson tree that were stillborn.

I wonder if this could be my Gertrude Amelia, their birth dates are identical also never married.

Gertrude Alderson
                              Birth Date 28 Mar 1897
                              Date of Registration Dec 1975
                              Age at Death 78
                              Registration district Hyndburn and Rossendale
                              Inferred County Lancashire
                              Volume 40
                              Page 1490

and in the 1939 register, this Gertrude is living in Burnley, with a Thomas Alderson and 1 other that is officially closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Surfer View Post
                                I wonder if this could be my Gertrude Amelia, their birth dates are identical also never married.

Gertrude Alderson
                                Birth Date 28 Mar 1897
                                Date of Registration Dec 1975
                                Age at Death 78
                                Registration district Hyndburn and Rossendale
                                Inferred County Lancashire
                                Volume 40
                                Page 1490

and in the 1939 register, this Gertrude is living in Burnley, with a Thomas Alderson and 1 other that is officially closed.
                                If you mean the one I think you mean in 1939 she is married and is living with Thomas and David who appear to be her sons. Their mother appears to be Gertrude Bailey, who married Thomas Alderson in Burnley June 1919. The redacted one may be her daughter Sheila Veronica, who didn't die until 200o as Sheila Veronica Woodhouse.

Comment

I really got that one wrong didn't I, what was I thinking of. I should have realised that she would have married an Alderson, too many late night searches have fuddled my brain
                                  Last edited by Silver Surfer; 04-07-17, 11:18.

Comment

Have you looked into this one?

Deaths Mar 1929 - Alderson Gertrude age 33 S. Shields Ref 10a 1261

Comment

Also this possible patient in 1911 - http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor.../29539/0032/28

Comment

Working...
                                      X