Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family History

Hi

I'm a newbie. I hope I'm on the right thread.

I'm interested in family research and in trying to locate information about my paternal grandmother's line. Her mother was Elizabeth Sarah Parry who was born about 1877 in Blakenley ( I think) Gloucestershire. She was a servant in 1881 aged 14 to a family in Gloucester as I found out from the census but I've been unable to find a birth or a death certificate for her. She married George Francis Wheeler in 1900 in Bristol and they moved to Devonshire by the 1911 Census. George died there in 1911. He worked for GWR but I don't know if Elizabeth returned to Gloucester or not. She may have remarried but I'm hitting brick walls with my research. I hope all that makes sense.

Many thanks for any help offered.

It looks like she was illegitimate which will explain why the entries for the marriage on familysearch.org do not mention a father's name for the bride. The - (dash) in the GRO index entry means the mother's maiden surname is the same as the child's.

PARRY, ELIZABETH SARAH -
    GRO Reference: 1875 M Quarter in MONMOUTH Volume 11A Page 28

Comment

wonder if this is her
      Parry, Sarah Elizabeth Mothers maiden name Whyatt
      GRO Reference: 1875 J Quarter in GLOUCESTER Volume 06A Page 311

Comment

dont know if you have any children ? could this be one
        Wheeler, Lilian Betty Martha mother PARRY
        GRO Reference: 1911 J Quarter in SAINT THOMAS Volume 05B Page 57

Comment

a possible death
          Elizabeth
          Last name Wheeler
          Gender Female
          Birth year 1875
          Age 66
          Death quarter 2
          Death year 1941
          District Cirencester
          County Gloucestershire
          Volume 6A
          Page 979

Comment

Sorry got stuck in this blooming 10 minute edit limit. Suddenly thought I wrong as you say you think she was born Gloucestershire so I then came up with the same woman that Val found but if you go to the marriage entry on familysearch.org the lady that George Francis WHEELER married was an Elizabeth Sarah PARRY not a Sarah Elizabeth, so prehaps I was correct first time after all. I don't know how I managed to post the same thing twice. Sorry.

What facts are you 100% sure of and documents to support?

The bride's year of birth is shown in the transcription as 1877 which is a couple of years out.
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 30-06-17, 00:08.

Comment

This is the only other Elizabeth Sarah PARRY born 1877 +/- 2 years.

PARRY, ELIZABETH SARAH LLOYD
              GRO Reference: 1878 M Quarter in WREXHAM Volume 11B Page 283
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 30-06-17, 00:11.

Comment

think she also means she was a servant in 1891 not 1881?

Comment

On both the 1901 census she has a birthplace of Yorkley, Gloucestershire. In 1911 it is Yorkney. Google confirms it's spelled Yorkley. Both times she is Elizabeth, no mention of Sarah. Both ages are consistent with birth year of 1877, so the Monmouthshire one can't be right after all.

Comment

could be her in 1881
                    Mary Parry Head Widow Female 52 1829 Awre, Gloucestershire, England
                    William Parry Son Single Male 20 1861 Coal Miner West Dean, Gloucestershire, England
                    James Parry Son Single Male 17 1864 Coal Miner East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
                    Fanny Parry Daughter Single Female 14 1867 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England
                    Mary Parry Daughter Single Female 11 1870 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England
                    Elizabeth Parry Daughter Single Female 6 1875 - West Dean, Gloucestershire, England

living in West Dean Monmouth Gloucestershire

Comment

seeing as Yorkley is near the forest of Dean that one seems most likely.

Comment

The registration district ought to be Forest of Dean for Yorkney but none of the entries say that. I know from losing peoplein the past in my father's family that the borders of Gloucestershire and Monmouthshire in the Forest of Dean area are a minefield! So basically I am back to the first illegitimate girl I found. I think this is her in 1881 census in a houshold with a lot of siblings and a widowed 52 year old mother. Whether the widowed part is true or not, who knows? Shemay have been a widow but had some more children after her husband died.

Elizabeth Parry 1875 Gloucestershire Monmouth West Dean (Gloucs) Monmouthshire

Comment

Snap Val

Comment

One of the older children on that census Fanny is also same as her sister - probably illegitimate.

PARRY, FANNY -
                            GRO Reference: 1867 J Quarter in MONMOUTH Volume 11A Page 22

Comment

William as well - the widowed status looks like it is for show.

PARRY, WILLIAM -
                              GRO Reference: 1861 M Quarter in MONMOUTH Volume 11A Page 34

Comment

think you may be right
                                Last edited by Guest; 30-06-17, 00:58.

Comment

This is William in 1861 census as the son of the 29 year old unmarried housekeeper Mary PARRY. The head of household is 40 year old William WEBB, cordwainer. Mary's parish of birth is Awre so consistent with 1881. There is another child Charlotte aged 1.

William E Parry 1861 Gloucestershire Monmouth West Dean Monmouthshire
                                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 30-06-17, 01:06.

Comment

No surprises here I'm afraid.

PARRY, CHARLOTTE -
                                    GRO Reference: 1859 S Quarter in MONMOUTH Volume 11A Page 20

Comment

1841 census, this is Mary, still in the village of Viney Hill with presumably her parents William (sawyer) and Esther.

Mary Parry 1832 Gloucestershire Westbury on Severn Dean Forest Gloucestershire

Comment

Mary's baptism?

Print transcription
                                        Mary
                                        Parry
                                        Female
                                        -
                                        -
                                        29 Jan 1832
                                        Blakeney
                                        Gloucestershire
                                        England