Assistance with John Kelly and Jane McIlroy birth info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance with John Kelly and Jane McIlroy birth info

Hoping to get information on John Kelly and Jane McIlroy. (and possibly their parents)

John Kelly and Jane McIlroy
    Married 13 Nov 1860 in Glasgow, Scotland.

John Kelly born in Ireland in 1841, to John Kelly and Marry McConnell.
    Jane McIlroy born in Ireland in 1840 to James McIlroy and Eliza Gibbons.

Per info from marriage document on Scotland's people:
    ** clear document, so pretty sure it's accurate.

Would be very grateful to get accurate birth info on John Kelly and Jane McIlroy. (And possibly info on the parents) I've searched and searched on Ancestry, without much luck. Pretty common names.

Maybe just a nudge in the right direction. I'm more than willing to put in the research time.

Thank you

Do you have census details? Is the birthplace always given as ireland? Is the age stable from census to census? Do you have death certs? Is the age similar?

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum.
      I'm afraid civil registration of births in Ireland didn't start until 1845, so if the above dates are correct, you're not going to be able to find birth certificates for them :(
      You will need to try and find baptism records. Were they Roman Catholic or Protestant? Do you have any ideas about which county they came from? Any information about the occupation of the parents, or of John?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Sorry. Have deleted what I originally wrote as missed the bit where you said the info came from the marriage cert. Doh!.

Have you checked the RC parish registers on SP to see if there is more info?
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-06-17, 08:58.

Comment

Thank you so much for the replies. I'm still researching this, and trying to find clues. I've had good luck on Scotlands People, finding record of 6 children of John Kelly / Jane McIlroy. These documents all seem to say John Kelly worked on boots. (boot-top cutter, boot closer, boot-something... can't read).

I believe they may be Roman Catholic as 1 of the children birth was a Catholic Register Birth and Baptism document.

I found a 1891 census that indicates John Kelly was born in Ireland, but then I found a 1861 census stating Scotland. The marriage document clearly states the parents of both John Kelly and Jane McIlroy. And, I've updated my tree on Ancestry with that info... I just can find any info out there to confirm the names, or go further back.

Ahhh, so frustrating! :-). I'll continue to dig.

Thank you!

Comment

There is an 1861 census on Ancestry (no image) with what looks like Jane and John with the McIroys in Glasgow

Elisabeth McIlroy 43 b England
            Grace McIlroy 77 b Ireland Stay Maker
            James McIlroy 15 Ireland Printer ??
            Jane I Kelly 21 b Ireland Stay Maker
            John Kelly 20 b Ireland Boot Closer

7 Ninian St Glasgow Hogan

1871 a John Kelly (transcribed
            Killy on Ancestry) b 1841 Belfast, Co Antrim living in Paisley, Renfrew. John a Boot Closer. With Jane, (transcribed James)b Co Armagh. Plus child Elisabeth aged 2

1881 John Kelly with a dob of 1844, Boot Cutter in Paisley with wife Jane b 1844 and children Hugh, (John) Henry, Thomas and George

Then back to Glasgow, Dennistoun

Vera

Comment

1861 census FMP transcription

St Ninian Street, Govan, Hutchesonton, Lanarkshire

Elisabeth McElroy Head Widow 43 b England
              Grace McElroy daughter 17 Stay maker b Ireland
              James McElroy Son 15 Printer Moulder b Ireland
              Jane J Kelly daughter married 21 b Ireland
              John Kelly son in law 20 Boot Closer b Ireland

Vera

Comment

Well done, Vera - great finds and looking very positive with an Ulster/Scotland link .

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay. Can see that Jane in 1851 with mother and father but father recorded as Hugh! b England and mother Elzabeth b Ireland.

On FMP
                  10 ?Portigul Street, Gorbals, Lanarkshire

Hugh McElroy 34 Ironer/Linen man b England
                  Elisabeth McelRoy 31 b Ireland
                  Jane b 1840 Ireland
                  John 9 "
                  Grace 7 "
                  James 5 "

Wonder if Jane was referring to brother James on mc.

Vera

Comment

Vera,

I greatly appreciate the time, expertise, and information you have provided. Thank you.

AncestryDNA assigned me to only 2 genetic communities. Scottish and Ulster Irish. It's starting to make more sense to me now.

I had no previous record of Thomas, from the 1881 census, but I was able to confirm that birth on SP, and added Thomas to my tree.

Interesting that the 1851 census shows Hugh as the father, and not James? Maybe it "IS" brother James on the marriage document. Possibly, Hugh passed away before 1860 marriage and 1861 census. Most likely.

Have a great day!

Comment

During my travels I could see 10 children, 6 can be found on FMP. If you don't subscribe to the site I believe there is a special offer at the moment.

On FMP
                      Grace 1861
                      James 1865
                      Jane Joanna 1867
                      Elisabeth 1869
                      Hugh 1871
                      John Henry 1873
                      +
                      Thomas 1878
                      George 1880
                      Clara 1883
                      ?Minnie 1886

Vera
                      Last edited by vera2013; 29-06-17, 17:34.

Comment

Hello,
                        I wasn't familiar with FMP. Started my 14 day trial membership yesterday, and plan to get my money's worth! :-)
                        Thank you!
                        btw: I had previously had Elisabeth, as the oldest child. I've now been able to add Grace, James, and Jan
                        John B.

Comment

Galloway Lass has a thread on here giving details of an FMP special offer for Worldwide £1 for 1 month with details of Code etc. Always remember to untick auto renew if you sign up to anything for a short period.

Happy hunting

Vera

Comment

Working...
                          X