Help needed with my Bul(l)mans Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with my Bul(l)mans Please

Long Story but have been busy tracing them back in Norfolk but found a burial I didn't like yesterday so now need so help/ second opinions please.

Elizabeth Bullman born 24 Mar 1848 Hackford Nfk, died 19 Jul 1908 Nottingham. 2 x GGrandmother. Know all about her thanks.

Parents James Bullman born 30 Jan 1810 Crostwight married Mary Ann Dunnell and died 30 Jan 1868. Know all about him and have all certs etc.

Parents William Bullman and Mary Mason as per bap for James. They were married 17 Oct 1785 in Crostwight and William died Mar 1824 Hackford. Mary died Apr 1828 Hackford. All Norfolk.

I had William born Dec 1767 to William Bullman and Rebecca Dearnes nee Smith in North Elmham Norfolk. There are a few people on line with this info as well but I did check it out.

Yesterday I was going through everything and found that William Bullman buried in Hackford was aged 80 so should be born 1744. Not to worry as it could be a few years out. THEN on Freereg there was a burial for William Bullman on 15 Feb 1782 in North Elmham the son of William and Rebecca!!! This is 3 years before he should have married Mary.

I have gone way back so feel a bit down but would rather get it right.

Can anyone find another William to fit or any other advise would be appreciated?

I spell Bullman with 2 l's as it keeps it all in together on my tree but please be aware that it is often spelt with 1 l.

Going to have a coffee and choc muffin now to cheer myself up!!

Thanks for listening
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Have you considered the burial may be for the william married to rebecca?

Comment

Will have another look to see what I think.

Thanks
      Lin

Comment

Lin, Have you searched all the way through the images of the registers for the two parishes (N Elmham & Hackford) on family search? This would be one way of checking and confirming the information you have already collected and also an opportunity to pick up on other references to the family names you are researching.
        Do not despair - it is very rarely in family history that research turns out to be of no value, although it may have to be allocated to a different place on the family tree. During my 20+ yrs of research for a Sarah Holt I twice thought I'd found my girl and on the second occasion compiled an extended family for her. I was gutted when I got eventually got to the record office and found out that in fact that child had died in her teens. (All that work for nothing -grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.) Some years later I found out that, through another line on my tree, I was distantly connected to the same family of Holts. I decided to chase up two more siblings in a large Holt family and discovered that one sister (Mrs Watson, but without a husband) was the mother of Sarah Watson before she remarried and became Mrs Kell, with her children being recorded in census with the surname Kell. Mrs Kell died and when Sarah later married, she obviously knew Kell was a courtesy surname so took her mother's maiden name and called herself Sarah Holt. So, all the research I'd previously done on the Holts and then considered useless turned out to be valuable in the end and also helped confirm the links.
        I'm sure you will eventually find that all the different bits of Bullman information mesh together.

Jay

ETA - which Norfolk Hackford - by Reepham, or near Hingham?
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 26-06-17, 14:55.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Janet.

I did search through all Hackford when it first came available on Family Search. It was then only available as a browse facility. BTW if is Hackford by Reepham aka Hackford by Whitwell. I haven't looked at North Elmham. I also now don't know if my family were every in N Elmham or not.

It does get hard when you get back further than census. I really don't know their occupations or anything about them.

Thanks for your support and understanding. I know its not the end of the world and I have never been to Norfolk archives and it has all been done on line. I did visit Hackford and Weston Longville while on holiday though. Going to have a look at N Elmham now.

Thanks
          Lin

Comment

Well, it's still a browse facility, but as it enables one to read through the images of the whole of the PR for the specified parish, it's as good as a visit to the record office.
            Indexes and transcripts are fine and a great help, but all transcribers can make errors, some of the writing is hard to decipher and transcripts don't always record useful asides/margin notes. I personally feel you can't beat consulting the real thing and am so grateful that images of so many of the Norfolk registers are available online.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I tried to get on the records on Family Search last night but the little circle just went round and round. Have just got on now but only have about 20 mins so will leave it until I have more time.

I also love doing this but now feel as if I am barking up the wrong tree and need to gather my thoughts and look elsewhere.

I still feel the burial in Hackford has the wrong age on as he wouldn't have got married until he was 41 and Mary was about 18. I know it does happen.

I won't give up but will lick my wounds and go forward.
              Lin

Comment

Thank you for all your advice.

Put this on the back boiler as really fed up with it.

As said previously I got most of this info off line from various sources and I did double check them. Unfortunately back then there were very few burial to find there.

I have gone back to William and started from his burial which I am quite happy with and his marriage as mmn is mentioned on all the baptisms. Have worked out he was born earlier than I thought and found a very nice baptism in the next village to where he married. Still looking into it all but feel quite happy at the moment with it.
                Lin

Comment

Working...
                X