Anyone up for a Brown hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for a Brown hunt?

I am trying to track the children of William and Mary Brown born in Leicester between 1762 and 1786. Of their 12 children, I have so far managed to find out what happened to 8 of them, but the last 4 have proved very elusive. William left a will when he died in 1799 leaving various bequests, but it took a long time for it all to be worked out, so therefore there were further admons, which luckily gave me more info. Williams original executors declined the roles so his second son James took over as executor (more on first son later). When James died in 1838 (Having "intermeddled" with the will) it still wasn't completed, so executorship was taken up by next eldest son Edward. Edward himself died in 1848, so the executorship was finally taken on by 3 of Williams grandchildren, Mary, William and John. I would like to try and find Edward in the 1841 census, his widow in the 1851 plus Edwards older brother William and younger brothers John and Henry.

Here is what I know:

William b. 1762 in Leicester. In the 1838 Admon he is mentioned as being a Lace Dealer in East Retford, Notts. I assume that as he was not living in Leicester he did not become the executor. I also assume that he is dead by the time of the 1848 Admon.

Edward Brown, b 1772 in Leicester. In 1838 he is described as a Hairdresser (which was also his fathers's profession). When he died in 1838, in his own will he described himself as Gentleman. According to the burial record his abode when he died was Northampton Street. He left everything to his wife Mary, who died in 1853, again at Northampton Street, Leicester. I cannot find her in the 1851, or either of them in the 1841. Mary was born ca. 1773,

John Brown b. 1782 Leicester. In 1838 he is a FWK in Nottingham.

Henry Brown b. 1786 in Leicester. Mentioned in the original will in 1799 but no trace of him after that.

There were three grandchildren mentioned in 1848 - Mary Brown, spinster of Leicester; William Brown, China Dealer of East Retford and John Brown, Lace Manufacturer of Nottingham. These last 2 could be sons of William of Retford and John of Nottingham respectively but again I can't seem to pin them down.

Anyone have any luck with this lot?
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Just had a quick look for you on FMP.

Looked for John in Nottingham on 1841 and didn't find anything to match as a FWK

Also looked for William China dealer in East Retford in 1851. Mainly farmers and ag labs and a few other occupations but no China dealers.

Brown is such a hard name to find.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks for trying Lin - my Browns can definitely be a nightmare, and there are lots of them!
      Linda

Comment

sorry but I gave up:(, but will have another go later

Comment

Also looked for Edward and Mary in both Retford and Leicester with no luck.

There is a Mary a widow living as Mother in Leicester but not sure.

Will look it up again if you think it could be yours.
          Lin

Comment

I wondered about that one too

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post

There is a Mary a widow living as Mother in Leicester but not sure.

Will look it up again if you think it could be yours.
              Could you give me her details please, so I can check against what I have. Thanks.
              Linda

Comment

Hi 1851 census

New Walk St Marys Leicester

Thomas Harrison Kinton Head M Bankers Clerk
                Mary Kinton Wife M
                Mary Brown Mother W independent lady born Battestone Leics
                Mary Miles Vis U Farmers Daughter

plus 3 servants.
                Lin

Comment

I followed that one through. Lots of info on FMP, including their marriage. Unfortunately Mary gives name of father as William.

May 28 1850
                  Thomas Harrison Kinton 45 bachelor New Walk, Leics, Gentleman f Robert, Gentleman
                  Mary Brown 44, Spinster, King Street, f William, Gentleman

Witnesses Louise Kinton, William S?

Vera

Comment

Just found in the paper that Mary marrying Thomas....' only daughter of the late William Brown, Esq., of Stoke Golding, in this county'
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I was concentrating on Edward and Mary at the time and forgot there were other brothers one of which was a William.

Looking at William. What does Admon mean please?

Vera
                      Last edited by vera2013; 26-06-17, 21:11.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                        What does Admon mean please?

Vera
                        It's an abbreviation for administration of a person's affairs if there is no will. If there is a will there's a grant of probate.

Comment

Thanks Jill

Vera

Comment

Thank you all for trying. I now have another question, but hopefully easier. going back to my original post, I mentioned the 2nd son James. I have all of his details, and have just found the will of one of his daughters, who very helpfully mentioned all her siblings and their spouses. She also mentioned brother Richard who was "living in the East Indies". Would that be India?
                            Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                              Thank you all for trying. I now have another question, but hopefully easier. going back to my original post, I mentioned the 2nd son James. I have all of his details, and have just found the will of one of his daughters, who very helpfully mentioned all her siblings and their spouses. She also mentioned brother Richard who was "living in the East Indies". Would that be India?
                              Could be though I think in that case the will would have said India. More likely Malaya or Indonesia I'd have thought.
                              East Indies, the islands that extend in a wide belt along both sides of the Equator for more than 3,800 miles (6,100 km) between the Asian mainland to the north and west and Australia to the south. Historically, the term East Indies is loosely applied to any of three contexts. The most restrictive
                              Last edited by JudithM; 27-06-17, 09:47.
                              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I agree with Judith. I think the "East Indies" was nothing to do with India. Like the" West Indies", it was a name given to a geographical area by early explorers attempting to circumnavigate the globe. Neither group of islands had anything to do with India, nor were they adjacent to it.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Interesting if it were Indonesia, as I have other relatives there!

I think I have sussed out who Mary, grandchild of the original William, was. I think she was the daughter of James, who first dealt with the will. I only just managed to sort out his children thanks to the will I found above. This is her in 1851 (probably):

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
                                  Linda

Comment

I was looking at this will wondering if you have a signature for John Brown.

It's a longshot but the will is for Henry Brown dying 1805 and granted 1808
                                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - sorry for not replying sooner. I have also had a look at that will which looks very interesting, and am trying to see if I can find any more links between the John Brown, Hosier, mentioned and my Browns. He lives in the same general area as them, and like his siblings can read and write (not too sure how common that was for hosiers at that time) so need to track him down in either censuses and/or deaths to see if the age and place of birth match. It would definitely explain what happened to Henry though!
                                      Linda

Comment

I keep looking and looking but can't find anything concrete!

Did want to mention this

28 August 1846 - Nottingham Review and General Advertiser
                                        There's a William Brown of East Retford marrying Harriet Brown in Sneinton.

Don't think I can get to Notts records office at the mo but it night be worth noting.

William Brown
                                        Marriage year 1846
                                        Marriage date 25 Aug 1846
                                        Marriage place Sneinton
                                        Church St Stephen
                                        Denomination Anglican
                                        Spouse's first name(s) Harriet
                                        Spouse's last name Brown
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X