Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone for a challenge to find Francis Dunne's place of birth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone for a challenge to find Francis Dunne's place of birth?

I'm trying to find where Francis Dunne was Born. DOB 16 Jun 1903 as per 1939 Register. He died aged 42 in 1946, London.
    From his Marriage Cert in Dublin Ireland 1928 he was aged 25, Bachelor of what looks like, Portebello Barracks his father was John Dunne, Motor Mechanic. I know his wife Catherine was Irish but I can't find Francis being born in Ireland. Catherine remarried in 1951 and died 1977.
    teresa

Portobello Barracks are now called the Cathal Brugha Barracks and they are in Rathmines, a part of Dublin, south of the Liffey. What occupation was given for your man when he married - was he in the army?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
      Portobello Barracks are now called the Cathal Brugha Barracks and they are in Rathmines, a part of Dublin, south of the Liffey. What occupation was given for your man when he married - was he in the army?

Jay
      Francis Dunne's occupation was 'Cycle Mechanic'. It doesn't say he was in the Army.
      teresa

Comment

What about this Francis, son of John?

If you don't subscribe to FMP, perhaps you'd like to take advantage of the free offer over this weekend?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I was just going to mention that one, you can view the original here

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
            I was just going to mention that one, you can view the original here

http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...Street/292195/
            I can find the birth records for the two children on either side of Francis - ie Kevin and Joseph - quite straightforwardly - both with father John Dunne, mechanic/cycle mechanic and mother's maiden name as Foley. Both births registered in Tralee, Co Kerry.
            No sign of a reg for a Francis though. In fact, of the 1021 births registered in Tralee in 1903 with DOB 16 June, there are just two, and neither of them is your man, unfortunately.

This is the same family in 1901 with a few more children mentioned: http://www.census.nationalarchives.i..._Lane/1431723/

Christine
            Last edited by Karamazov; 24-06-17, 00:28.
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Not much help I know but these look to be the possible births of Annie and John -

Dunne, Annie Winifred MMN Foley - GRO Reference: 1895 M Quarter in CHORLTON Volume 08C Page 814

Dunne, John Alfred MMN Foley - GRO Reference: 1896 S Quarter in ULVERSTON Volume 08E Page 803
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated. I don't know why I didn't pick up John Dunne mechanic/cycle mechanic on the Census Records. Probably blinked and missed that. LOL!
                teresa

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that Francis Dunne's birth was not registered, either that or he was known as 'Francis' and probably had another first name. Blowed if I can find him though.

Having trouble finding a marriage for John Dunne to Mary Foley now..what a nightmare this Dunne family is!
                  teresa

Comment

how about Mary Feely to John Dunne 1877 Dublin south

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Lane View Post
                      how about Mary Feely to John Dunne 1877 Dublin south
                      sorry I think their ages would be wrong

Comment

On Irish Genealogy civil marriages Dublin South

Rathgar, South Dublin

27 Dec 1891

Aaron John Dunne bachelor full age Soldier, 12 ? Kevin Street father Gideon Dunne Locksmith

Mary Foley full age spinster dom servant 88 Kenilworth Square father James Stonemason

Witnesses John Kennedy and Mary Cruise

Vera

Comment

Kevin Street is in the Portobello area of Dublin.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                          X