looking for registration of death of baby John between 1861 & Sep 1868

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for registration of death of baby John between 1861 & Sep 1868

In 1861 one month old baby John McDonough (daren't put his surname in the header, lol, I can hear the loud groans!) was in Newcastle upon Tyne with his parents Commons & Catherine.

His birth was registered as McDonna (no forename) mmn Parker in Q1 1861.
    His parents married in Middlesbrough on 10 Oct 1861 ( I have the cert.)
    They had 3 children in Scotland:-
    Mary (b1862) parents Commons McDonagh & Catherine Parkin, mar 18 May 1859 Middlesburgh
    Thomas c 1864
    Ann (b1866) parents Thomas McDonagh & Catherine Parker, mar Nov 1859, Middlesbro, England
    and also JOHN (b 1868) parents Thomas McDonagh & Catherine Parker, mar 27 May 1860 Middlesbro.

The family were back in Northumberland by 1871.

I haven't managed to find the death registration for their first child John - can anyone help, please? I've looked on the GRO, freeBMD and also Scotlands people, to no avail, but suspect I've gone McDonough (& variants) blind.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-06-17, 17:07.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Have looked at Newcastle, Tynemouth, S Shields,
    Teeside, Stockton but cant see anything.

Wonder why Catherine/Commons didn't name John when he was registered.

The only thing I can see on FMP Scotland RC Parish Burials

St Peter's Dalberth Cemetery, Glasgow - John McDonagh aged 3 1/2 buried 26 Nov 1864 Scarlet Fever but can't see a matching SP death

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 24-06-17, 12:26.

Comment

Veda

Some people were very superstitious about naming a baby before it had been baptised, particularly RCs. Other people didn't name a baby which wasn't expected to survive.

OC

Comment

....or if Veda isn't around, perhaps Vera is, lol! Sorry, it's stupid kindle predictive text.

OC

Comment

Vera, thanks so much for that - I'm sure that that will be the burial of the little chap I'm looking for. Why oh why didn't I have the nouse to look at burials in Scotland as well as deaths?

Thanks OC, you could well be right. I haven't managed to find a baptism entry as yet, which has surprised me.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Ha Ha sounds like someone from Star Wars. I'm constantly retyping because of that.

Maybe the christening didn't come first because parents not married.

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 24-06-17, 14:37.

Comment

Am bamboozled now as I have tried every combo I can think of on ScotlandsPeople and not found him. I tried the whole of Scotland with Mac Mc O' and plain old Don* . There were a few possibles but none were him. Lastly I tried only the forename and death year 1864 in Govan as that's where the 1862 birth of Mary was registered but still no joy.
              I can't positively identify the births of Thomas or Ann so couldn't try narrowing it down to other registration districts.
              What's really puzzling me though is that I cannot bring up the burial entry that was found on FMP. I wondered if the full thing on SP might have had more detail. Even using all the tricks above, I get no results. I didn't know till it was posted above that Scotland's RC records were any where else other than SP.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                Ha Ha sounds like someone from Star Wars. I'm constantly retyping because of that.

Maybe the christening didn't come first because parents not married.

Vera
                Well Commons/Thomas & Catherine are the ONLY pre-1880 couple in my Irish lot for whom I HAVE found a marriage I am thinking that all the other couples could have married in their RC church (and therefore in the eyes of God) but not before a registrar, so no civil record. Not all the relevant regional RC marriage registers (transcripts or images) are available online at present. It is very hit and miss, both by time spans and by parish.
                I live in hope, for I cannot believe that NONE of my couples married - I would have thought that the parish priest would have been round the residences, constantly, "encouraging" couples to marry.

Jay
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-06-17, 16:15.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

GallowayLass, I don't have a birth registration for Thomas, but have the relevant images for the other 3 children - correct parent's names & their place of marriage.
                  I also did not know (until Vera's post) that some Scottish records were available on FMP. I suppose I'd never really had occasion to browse on that site, as I have no Scottish ancestry. For my Uncle and cousins I just used Scotlands People and found what I wanted quickly and easily.
                  Thank you for looking for me.
                  Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                    Well Commons/Thomas & Catherine are the ONLY pre-1880 couple in my Irish lot for whom I HAVE found a marriage I am thinking that all the other couples could have married in their RC church (and therefore in the eyes of God) but not before a registrar, so no civil record. Not all the relevant regional RC marriage registers (transcripts or images) are available online at present. It is very hit and miss, both by time spans and by parish.
                    I live in hope, for I cannot believe that NONE of my couples married - I would have thought that the parish priest would have been round the residences, constantly, "encouraging" couples to marry.

Jay
                    Should have said not married at the time of birth registration

Vera

Comment

I knew that was what you meant, Vera. At least they did get married - I've been quite shocked that I can't find marriages for so many other couples. Not shocked from a moral point of view, but from a religious stance. I've been looking through some of the Ireland RC parish bp registers, some of which were of a printed format, which included a "remarks" column. There is the very occasional comment "non conjunct:"

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I like to keep the record straight May and in respect to their memory. Clearly Fr Walsh wasn't around at the time. I think it's more likely the marriage records are not available yet.

Vera

Comment

I like to keep the record straight Jay and in respect to their memory. Clearly Fr Walsh wasn't around at the time. I think it's more likely the marriage records are not available yet.

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 25-06-17, 11:52.

Comment

Was in the middle of an edit 'Jay' when phone rang.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                            X