Pauper Child - parents deceased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pauper Child - parents deceased

James Rowland (long sought by me and others) has proved continually elusive. Supposed to have been born in Wales.
    I found a James Rowland born in Wales circa 1765 (the appropriate date in fact) he was baptised in Edern, Merionethshire, in Wales. He and his family are next found in Stamford, Lincolnshire - except "he" is not the same child - the first child had died. The father's name was John Rowland - I cannot remember the wife's first name. They had had a 2nd child - did they also call that child James?
    I found the abandoned/pauper Child in Stamford - he does not recur again at any time that I can find - did he die - no death for him found. He does, however, appear as an adult if I have the correct person - he married in Hertford to an Elizabeth Joceylin (Joslin), he had many children and lived in Great Baddow, Essex, from the time of his marriage until his death in 1846. His wife pre-deceased him and he remarried fairly swiftly to a young girl - they had further children. He was very active in the Militia i.e. Loyal Lincolnshire Militia which became part of the 83rd Foot for the duration of the Spanish Wars.
    I tried to find Stamford Workhouse
    There was never any workhouse in Stamford but they used the one in Bourne, Lincs and I gather the Stamford paupers went there but this was during the 1800s not the 1700s.
    I now know that 1765 is too early for Workhouses and have today read that abandoned children from Stamford and adults who were paupers WERE PUT ON A BOAT TO IRELAND.
    Does anyone know anything about this? Were they sent to a community in Ireland? Are there any records? It is the first I have heard of this and have to admit I am shocked..!
    There are quite a lot of Rowlands in Stamford (or there were) and some of them were relatives of some kind. James was a Master Tailor and during military service he was a Sgt/Master Tailor which I am told made him the most senior NCO in a regiment. He was wounded in the hip at Salamanca.
    [The next appearance of James i.e. before his military service, was in Newtown, Wales, where he signed up for the army - this is a definite siting as was his wedding in Herts and his home in Great Baddow.
    I don't know where he did his apprenticeship for tailoring.

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 21-06-17, 17:12.
Working...
X