Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Heath - Staffordshire late 1700's to early 1800's

Hi all - I'm new to the site and I need some help as I'm stuck

I've worked my family tree back to John Heath born 1817 Wolstanton, Staffs. He was baptised on 11th June of that year and his parents are listed as John and Elizabeth. I can't find Elizabeth's maiden name and the only reference I can find of a John and Elizabeth Heath is a census from derbyshire in 1851 which lists her as being born in Suffolk about 1796. If this is the right John Heath then he appears to be about 10 years older and was born in 1786 (ish) to parents John and Ann. I can also see a reference to an Ann Heath born to John and Ann in 1783 just 3 years before her brother so this also seems to check out, but this is about as far as I can get. I don't have any possible birth dates for the parents John and Ann or Ann's maiden name. It doesn't help that everyone seems to have the same name but it looks something like this (apologies but the formattnig won't let me illustrate this how I want):

John Heath / Ann
    I
    I
    Ann Heath (1783)
    John Heath (1786)/Elizabeth(1796)
    I
    I
    John Heath (1817)

Can anyone help fill in some blanks or push the tree back any further? Did John Heath (1817) have any brothers/sisters?

Your help would be truly appreciated.

Thanks

Have you found John (1817) in census? if so, when and where was he?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

FindMyPast has the Parish Registers for St Margaret, Wolstanton and John's baptism isn't there.
      Where do you think he was baptised? There were Heath baptisms there, but not his, and none for a child of John and Elizabeth Heath.

We need to get correct facts about his birth and baptism.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

This seems to be the baptism to which you are referring:

First name(s) John
        Last name Heath
        Baptism year 1817
        Baptism date 11 Jun 1817
        Baptism place Newcastle under Lyme, St Giles
        Denomination Anglican
        Father's first name(s) John
        Mother's first name(s) Elizabeth
        County Staffordshire
        Country England
        Archive reference D3251/1/10
        Page 142
        Register type Baptism
        Record set Staffordshire Baptisms

Note the family were at Newcastle under Lyme.

Wolstanton is 1.5 miles away so it is possible.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I can't find any further baptisms for this couple at Newcastle under Lyme.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
            This seems to be the baptism to which you are referring:

First name(s) John
            Last name Heath
            Baptism year 1817
            Baptism date 11 Jun 1817
            Baptism place Newcastle under Lyme, St Giles
            Denomination Anglican
            Father's first name(s) John
            Mother's first name(s) Elizabeth
            County Staffordshire
            Country England
            Archive reference  D3251/1/10
            Page 142
            Register type Baptism
            Record set Staffordshire Baptisms

Note the family were at Newcastle under Lyme.

Wolstanton is 1.5 miles away so it is possible.
            John senior was a Pipe Maker. The family lived at Newcastle.
            Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 21-06-17, 14:40.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Are you certain that this John Heath baptised in 1817 at Newcastle under Lyme is yours?
              What do you know about him? Census entries, marriages, etc?
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yes that is the baptism to which I am referring. Basically, there were 2 John Heaths that were possible, however, going off the 1851,1861, 1871 and 1881 census', I worked out that it had to be the one I'm researching because only one fit the necessary date of birth for the age to be corect in each of them (I checked the date that each census actually took place) I have his marraige to Louisa Eardley in 1847 although I believe that to be his second marriage. His fathers name is given on the marriage certificate as John Heath.

Comment

Yes, but the father on the marriage certificate to Louisa was John Heath a farmer. I wouldn't have thought a pipe maker would have necessarily become a farmer.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

OK thanks - yes it would seem unlikely. I'm going to spend some time looking at the other possible then just in case he got his age wrong on a census.

I wasn't able to see that about his father being a farmer on Ancestry - all I could see were the names. Are you using FindMyPast? Is it better than Ancestry?

Comment

The image of the marriage is on FindMyPast. FMP has Staffordshire baptisms, marriages and burials, and also wills and marriage allegations.
                      If you have purchased the marriage certificate (imperative!) the same information appears on it.

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
                      Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 21-06-17, 15:45.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

On FMP there is a baptism of a John Heath, son of John Heath a farmer and his wife Lucy on 18th January 1818 at Wolstanton. They lived at Chesterton.
                        This ties in with the census entries for John and Louisa Heath.

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Other baptisms for this couple:
                          Sarah 14 January 1814
                          James Mayer 23 July 1815
                          Thomas 16 July 1820

John the father a farmer for all baptisms
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

John Heath a farmer married Lucy Mayer by Licence at St Margaret, Wolstanton 24th June 1813.
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:

Comment

Here are the burials of John and Lucy and Lucy's brother:

A140. James MAYER of Chesterton, 20 Feb 1815, 33
                              John HEATH, brother-in-law, 10 Oct 1826, 62
                              Lucy, widow of John HEATH, 2 Dec 1841, 57
                              Sarah, w/o Timothy CLEWLOW, 29 Nov 1872, 58

It looks like their daughter Sarah too.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

This is the marriage allegation.
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:

Comment

I've just been having a quick look and on one of the census Thomas Heath brother is living with them so the baptisms you have found look good.

Can't keep up with you though Elizabeth.
                                  Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

John is living with Ann, 25, Hannah, 4, Mary , 3, and Ann ?? 6.

Can't read the surname of Ann but could be a ditto.

Looks like he was married before.
                                    Lin

Comment

Yes, he was a widower when he married Louisa.
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Research Interests:

Comment

Looking at the 1851 census with Louisa there is a niece Ann Clowes aged 16.

Also a marriage for John Heath to Anne Clowes 28 Dec 1835 at Hanley.

Possibly his firth wife.
                                        Lin

Comment

Working...
                                        X