> England. past on information is that they were from Essex and not sure
    > which one (son or father) was involved with hosiery. Looking
    > particularly for ISOBEL SHEADs maiden name before she married WILLIAM
    > SHEAD. He was in the military 31 Queens Regiment and could have been
    > on his way to India as the vessel City of Manchester(?) was on maiden
    > voyage??
    > Can anyone help me please.
    thanks so much

How sure are you of the names of the children? The births at sea index records them as Robert & Mary, born 8 June 1858, children of XX & Isabella Shead.
    If you can trace, and obtain from the GRO, a birth cert for one of them, it should give you the maiden name of Isabella.
    Do you have the marriage cert for the parents? Knowing father's name of William should help with tracing his origins.

Jay

ETA - these records may be held at the National Archives, rather than the GRO - hopefully someone else will know and can advise you further.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 21-06-17, 11:55.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Have you found William Shead in either the 1841 or 1851 UK censuses?

That would give us a lead on when William might have married, and hence try to find the registration of that marriage.

Always assuming of course that they married in England,Wales or Scotland. Ireland is more difficult.

I have tried Freebmd, and have not so far found a marriage registered for a William Shead/Sheed and an Isabel(la)/bel(la) between March 1841 and December 1858.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

What do you think of this

1841 British Amy Index William Shade

No. 2902 Drummer 1st Foot Guards

1851 British Amy Index William Shade

Drum Major as Sargeant 31st (The Huntingdonshire) Regiment Of Foot
        Service No. 3079/GREN GDS 2902

Isabella's death as wife of Drum Major 31st Regt.
        Last edited by Elaine; 21-06-17, 21:21.
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

???? also this one???

Willm Shead, 31st Regiment of Foot Admitted 1862 Royal Hospital Chelsea
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Interesting .............

there is a birth registration on Freebmd for a Walter James Shead ..........

Births Dec 1856 (>99%)
            Shead Walter James Colchester 4a 221

but I cannot find it on GRO

Don't know whether there is any connection, but I wanted to see the mmn, as Colchester was an Army barracks town.
            Last edited by Sylvia C; 21-06-17, 23:38.

Comment

To add to Jay's post re the birth of twins .............. it does state the regiment

Births at sea, 1854-1960
              Robert Shead born 8 Jun 1858
              Father's last name:- Shead
              Father's occupation:- 31st Regiment
              Vessel name City Of Manchester

Twin of Mary. Given by Captn Baldwin 31st Regt

Comment

Isabella died of "puerperal fever" (sic), on 10 June 1858

Comment

Nte that Maritime Births and Deaths can be found on Family Search, which is a free site ............ but cannot always see the image

Comment

The record of the marriage on Family Search shows that Isabella's father was called Thomas Roby, mother Ann

There are also 2 baptisms in 1813 for an Isabella Roby, father Thomas and mother Ann

Isabella Roby b. 8 Sept 1813, baptised 04 Oct 1813, Standish Gate St Paul's Chapel Independent, Wigan, Lancashire

Father's Name Thomas Roby
                    Mother's Name Ann

Isabella's baptism from lancs opc (Online Parish Clerks) ..

Baptism: 4 Oct 1813 Independent Chapel of St Paul, Wigan, Lancashire, England
                    Isabella Roby - Daughter of Thomas Roby & Ann
                    Born: 8 Sep 1813
                    Notes: [Both parents of Wigan]
                    Baptised by: Alexr Steill Minister
                    Register: Baptisms 1777 - 1837, Page 58, Entry 125
                    Source: LDS Film 560905

OPC, Online Parish Clerk, family history, local history, free data, parish registers, census, Lancashire

It's hard to know whether it is the same parents in these 4 baptism as the occupations change ..........

Mary Roby born 15 Sept 1815 baptised 12 Oct 1815 All Saints, Wigan
                    2 Daur. of Thomas Roby & Ann, Address Market Place Father occupation:- Liquor Merchant

Sarah Roby born 17 July 1817, baptised 25 Sep 1817 All Saints, Wigan
                    3 Daur. of Thomas Roby & Ann, Address Market Place, Father occupation:- Liquor Merchant

William Nehemiah Robey born 11 Aug 1819 baptised 1 Jan 1820 All Saints, Wigan
                    1 Son of Thomas Robey & Ann, Address Wallgate, Father occupation Manufacturer

Thomas Roby born 2 May 1821 baptised 11 Feb 1823 All Saints, Wigan
                    2 Son of Thomas Roby & Ann, Address Wallgate, Father occupation Spinner

There were 4 more daughters baptised between 1827 and 1835 ...... Ann, Elizabeth Bancks, Alice Jane and Margaret

There is also a marriage for a Thomas Roby and Ann in Wigan ....

Thomas Roby and Ann Cowell, both of this town, married by Licence 15 Sep 1812 All Saints, Wigan
                    Witnesses: John Roby; Isabella Cowell; Gerard Cowell

Comment

???? Ann and children in 1841

Ann Roby 52 b.ca 1789, Lancashire, Tea Dealer
                      Isabella Roby 25
                      Mary Roby 20
                      Sarah Roby 20
                      Thomas Roby 20
                      Elizabeth Roby 14
                      Margaret Roby 12
                      Alice Roby 9

Address:- Market Place, Salford, Manchester

Comment

Throwing this one into the pot - GRO birth reg Q1 1856 Westminster: Thomas William Shead mmn Robey (sic)
                        Also bp St Stephens's Westminster 4 May 1856 Thomas William Shead, s/o William soldier & Isabella.

I think Sheads may have been a military family - a Thomas William Shead, 23 yrs, soldier with the 10th regt, son of William Shead book binder, marr at Christchurch Dover 1 Dec 1877.
                        Died of enteric fever whilst serving in India in 1882, aged 27 yrs.

Having had a quick look yesterday at military records, I had wondered if there was more that one soldier named William Shead????

Not sure we can do a lot more without some input from the opening poster.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jay ..........

I too had the thought that could well have been more than one William Shead.

Comment

Yep, agreeing with you too and followed those records but wasn't sure if it was relevant without a bit more background.

My Colchester disc only goes to 1851:(
                            Elaine

Comment

I was just looking at William Shade again...don't forget the free access!

He signs Drum Major William Shead....final discharge 1862 but I can't make out the last few words

In the 1861 army index ther is a William Shade...in Delhi 82nd Foot (Prince Of Wales Volunteers)
                              Elaine

Comment

Just found a marriage in Bombay

7 Nov 1859
                                William Shead full age widower Sargeant D M ( I think ) in the 31st Regt. Poona father William Shead
                                to
                                Ann Hodgkinson full age widow father James Conroy
                                Elaine

Comment

Link for the marriage

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Can rule out 1861 army index, that William SHADE was born 1837

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                                    Elaine

Comment

I wish forum member shead would come back and join us

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                      X