Backup vs export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup vs export

Why does it take nearly an hour to BU a family file to an external device and take less than 4 mins to export the same file to the same device? The exported file used "family tree maker" as type of file. Both export and BU checked all available boxes to be affected, ie: all media, all hidden files etc. Also why isn't it possible to restore a family file to a fresh install of family tree maker on a new computer while Using the BU works perfectly

thanks

I think its down to the speed of the device. I do backups to different devices (cloud, separate hard disc, memory sticks) and exactly the same things taks very different amounts of time. I do 'drag and drop' of the files I am backing up, from the computer window to the device or cloud window. I prefer to do this rather than using a 'back up facility' which does everything at once.
    Anne Edited to say ..... sorry that doesn't really answer your quesrion. But I do think a back up facility takes longer. OH leaves his plugged in and backing up once a week for ages, while my drag and drop doesn't take nearly as long.
    Test the results out. Does your 'export' still work Ok when run from the device? Mine do (tested on a different computer) so presume they are complete.
    A
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 14-06-17, 05:04.

Comment

Working...
    X