Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W.w.1 command labour centre( convalescent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.w.1 command labour centre( convalescent)

Hi Everyone, info. from C.W.G.C that Robert Henry James Harris, Private 313039, died 1918 at a Scottish Command Labour Centre ( Convalescent Camp). How do I find out which Regiment he was with? Forces War Records do not appear to give any more info than C.W.G.C. F.M.P. have a record that Robert received a medal, as I do not have a current sub with F.M.P. I am reluctant to pay and find out that the record does not give me the details of his regiment!
    Robert was living in Hartlepool when he would have enlisted.
    Any info. would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Toby.

Hi Toby, his medal card says he was a Private in the Labour Corps.

Comment

In a addition, the Army Register for Soldiers' Effects at Nottingham shows he died at Dumfries, and his widow Minnie was paid a War Grant of £6 5s

Comment

Hello Jill, thank you! Pity that there is no record of the Regiment. His body was taken back to Hartlepool where he was buried in the Stranton Cemetery, no headstone. Minnie was 26, sad!
        Cheers.
        Toby.

Comment

Hi Jill, forgot to ask, does the medal record state which medal he received and what it was for?
          Thanks.
          Toby.

Comment

It doesn't specify on the card, having looked at the original now on Ancestry rather than the transcript on Find My Past there's a date 14.10.22 and LC/1/320 and a note on the reverse that reads:

"Mrs M.M. Harris (Widow) makes App for Military Cross in respect of her late Husband 28.9.22"
            Last edited by Jill on the A272; 11-06-17, 09:34. Reason: date & note

Comment

Originally posted by toby blight View Post
              Hello Jill, thank you! Pity that there is no record of the Regiment. His body was taken back to Hartlepool where he was buried in the Stranton Cemetery, no headstone. Minnie was 26, sad!
              Cheers.
              Toby.

I think Jill gave his regiment in post #2? It says Labour Corps, which I believe became known later as the Pioneer Corp.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

There is a little info on the Labour Corps 1917-18 here

Whatever info you have about Robert you could add and "remember" him at livesofthefirstworldwar

Carol

Comment

Thanks Jill,very interesting,he must have done something brave.

Comment

Thanks Chris, I will have a look to see where they served during the war, if such info is available.
                    Cheers.
                    Toby.

Comment

Thanks Carol, I will have a look.
                      Cheers.
                      Toby.

Comment

His medal index card indicates that he was not awarded any of the three WW1 campaign medals. This usually means that he did not serve in a theatre of war. The card may have been created just to record his widow’s request for the award of the Military Cross. The Military Cross was only awarded to officers. Other ranks could be awarded the Military Medal but this was awarded in respect of gallantry under fire in battle. The other war graves in the cemetery you mention appear to be marked by standard Commonwealth War Graves Commission headstones. Perhaps his grave had been marked by a less substantial marker that has long since disappeared or his widow did not want the grave marked. However, you might wish to consider asking the CWGC to erect one of their headstones. It’s quite normal for them to do so where a private memorial has disappeared.

Comment

Lots of detailed information here:

Plaque and Photograph/ Document group to Robert Henry James Harris – Labour corps. Harris was from Hartlepool and enlisted in the labour corps in 1917, he never went abroad and died of pneumonia on 7.11.1918 in Scotland. He is buried in Stranton cemetery in Hartlepool, the fact that he never went abroad means that the plaque is his sole entitlement. Along with the plaque comes the condolence slip, 19 photographs and some family documents from WW2. Direct from the family.  

Comment

Working...
                          X