1939 Register help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Register help please

Trying to help a friend here with one of her relatives.

I remember reading somewhere that the numbers/codes people had on the register which became their NHS numbers could give a clue to a person's place of origin and that there is a list somewhere of these codes.

Could someone please tell us what the code marked in yellow means and is it what later became the NHS code?

The street address is given in the transcript as 79 Ludlow Street, Manchester C.B. I think that could actually be in Chorlton on Medlock. Am I correct?

Many thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 10-06-17, 13:46.

I think PWC stands for Post War Credits.
    Elaine

Comment

I think it may stand for Post War Credits?
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
        I think it may stand for Post War Credits?
        Oops - looks like I hesitated too long Elaine:D

Comment

What are Post War Credits please?

If that is not his eventual NHS number, where on the image should we looking?

Comment

I don't know if this age might help GL? It talks about NHS Numbers if you read down - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...1939-register/

Comment

I have just noticed that you can have an on line chat to them too.

Comment

Similar details to the link that Chrissie has given -
                The card number consisted of a four letter enumeration district code plus the line number of the schedule that was completed by the enumerator, e.g. for area ABCD, schedule line 24, 3rd person in the household the card number would have been "ABCD 24/3"
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                  What are Post War Credits please?
                  Post War Credit certificates were issued during the Second World War as recognition for the higher taxes paid by the public to support the war effort. The additional tax plus 38% interest was repaid by 1973 to most of those who had retained their certificates.
                  source - https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...it-Certificate
                  Elaine

Comment

I don't know if this age might help GL? It talks about NHS Numbers if you read down - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...1939-register/
                    That's an excellent link Chrissie Smiff, thanks a lot. Have bookmarked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      Many thanks Elaine. Another great link.

I think we are going to remain stumped as to whether this James Bradley is the Irishman we are seeking.

Comment

Are there any offers or discounts on for FMP that include the 1939 register?
                        My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Was your James living in England in 1911 GL?

Comment

No, he was in Martinstown, near Ballymena, Co. Antrim.

I have run out of subs for both ancestry and FMP so can't check censuses just now or anything much else for that matter. Sooo frustrating !!
                            Last edited by GallowayLass; 10-06-17, 14:53.

Comment

After Googling it does look at though Ludlow Street may have been part of Chorlton on Medlock. This comes under Chorlton where this James appears to have married Lilian Shoot in Sept 1917. Also where Frank was born in March 1918.

Comment

No, he was in Martinstown, near Ballymena, Co. Antrim.

I have run out of subs for both ancestry and FMP so can't check censuses just now or anything much else for that matter. Sooo frustrating !!
                                I could look for you, but I don't think the Irish census are on either are they? Not sure it would help either as he wasn't married by 1911.

Comment

After Googling it does look at though Ludlow Street may have been part of Chorlton on Medlock. This comes under Chorlton where this James appears to have married Lilian Shoot in Sept 1917. Also where Frank was born in March 1918.
                                  Thanks Chrissie. I have found those two indexed in ukbmd.org but unfortunately the marriage was Register Office or Registrar Attended so no clues as to the faith of the couple and likely to be no parish register online that late if the wedding wasn't actually in the Register Office premises.

Comment

I could look for you, but I don't think the Irish census are on either are they? Not sure it would help either as he wasn't married by 1911.
                                    Irish censuses are still free on their own website. Would be much appreciated if you could check for Lilian Shoot though and a possible match for the James Bradley she married so we could maybe rule out the one on the 1939 register.

My friend does have his death certificate. Death was in Manchester, 1975 (I don't know exactly where). Am waiting for her to give more details.

She also has an telegram annoyingly dated 8 May and no year sent from Manchester asking his brother William in Buncrana to immediately contact the sister of ward 12A at Withington Hospital concerning James.
                                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 10-06-17, 15:12.

Comment

The Lilian from 1939 appears to have died as per - Lilian Bradley - Birth Date:25 Apr 1888 - Date of Registration:Jun 1980 - Age at Death:92 - Registration district:Manchester Volume:38 - Page: 1291
                                      So if it is 'your' James in 1939 Lilian would still have been alive when he died. I'm not sure why the brother would have needed to contact the ward, rather than his wife?

Lilian was born in Grimsby- Ref Lilian Shoot - June 1888 - Caistor reg 7a 669 - to William John Shoot (a painter and paperhanger) and Sarah Ann Ward. Lilian had two older sisters in 1891 - Rebecca and Hilda.

There are SO many James Bradleys born at the right time that Lilian could have married that's it's impossible to say whether any of the ones in 1891 could be the one she married. Though the fact that Lilian and 'your' James died in the same area is a start.
                                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 10-06-17, 15:47.

Comment

My friend does have his death certificate. Death was in Manchester, 1975 (I don't know exactly where). Am waiting for her to give more details.
                                        A 1975 death certificate would normally give date of birth.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X