Searching on Scotlands people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching on Scotlands people

Is it possible to search statutory records by parents' full names only, please?
    Place of birth could be in any area and the surname is open to many variations, so I am trying to find a way of lessening the odds.

Thanks
    Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 08-06-17, 14:21.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Jay

When? Not possible to narrow down on SP by parents names but some earlier Scottish registrations are on family search, up to about 1900 I think.

OC

Comment

Why don't you give us some names - if they are not living - and perhaps we can help.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks both.
        OC, the births were 1860's. I found three on familysearch, and was able to follow them up on Scotlands people and view the actual records,but wondered if there were any more. I think you've probably answered my question!

Herky, I was wondering if Thomas McDonagh and Catherine Parker had any other children whilst they lived in Scotland, besides the three I found - Mary in 1862, Ann 1866 & John 1868. They also had a son Thomas c1864 - allegedly born in Scotland, but I haven't found him yet - and possibly a Peter c1870. (Mary was registered as the child of Commons McDonagh & Mary Parkin.)
        I had been wondering if there was any way of putting in the parents' names and seeing what came up!

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 08-06-17, 21:40.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Just found the reg of Peter's birth in Q1 1871 in Northumberland - Peter Donoghue, mmn Parker

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Sorry I didn't get back to you - family etc got in the way. Sorry but Ii have been looking for Thomas but no luck so far.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks for trying herky. No problem, they are all still only possible twigs on my tree, unless I can confirm a positive link.
              For Peter in #5, his birth registration was McDonoghue (I missed off the Mc in the original post.)

Not worth anyone wasting their time on; I just wanted to know if there was a way of putting in mmn as a parameter to cut down on search results. At a later time the family members were recorded as McDonald, which brings up loads of possible results, which could all be red herrings.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

These are the only Thomas M*cDon*g* born in Scotland between 1860 and 1870 according to ScotlandsPeople. Sorry but no search field for mother's maiden surname. If you can get somebody to do a search for you in a ScotlandsPeople centre, the maiden surname is searchable.

Dalziel is around the Motherwell area in Lanarkshire, Tradeston is in the City of Glasgow, Haddington is in East Lothian and Alloa (Clackmannan) is Clackmannanshire if that helps you pinpoint a possible in the list.
                Surname
                MCDONAGH
                Forename
                THOMAS
                Year
                Ref
                639/ 283
                RD Name
                Dalziel
                Surname
                MCDONAGH
                Forename
                THOMAS
                Year
                Ref
                644/9 1541
                RD Name
                Tradeston
                Surname
                MCDONOUGH
                Forename
                THOMAS
                Year
                Ref
                709/ 119
                RD Name
                Haddington
                Surname
                MCDONOUGH
                Forename
                THOMAS
                Year
                Ref
                465/ 337
                RD Name
                Alloa (Clackmannan)

Comment

If you change the *g* to *h* you get two extra results. Campsie parish is in Stirlingshire. It lies is above Glasgow and Cumbernauld. Old Monkland (Western) is the Coatbridge area in Lanarkshire. This was intended as an edit to the above post but while I was off double checking my facts on the places covered by the registration districts, I have fallen foul of the 10 minute rule.

Surname
                  MCDONACH
                  Forename
                  THOMAS
                  Year
                  Ref
                  475/ 73
                  RD Name
                  Campsie
                  Surname
                  MCDONNACHIE
                  Forename
                  THOMAS
                  Year
                  Ref
                  652/1 186
                  RD Name
                  Old Monkland (Western District)
                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 09-06-17, 12:12.

Comment

Thanks for that, Galloway Lass - that's really useful.
                    As I know from the images I've viewed that their other children were born in 1862, 1866 & 1868, those dates already rule out some of the ones you've posted. Also in all census returns for the family, Thomas is placed between Mary (b1862) and Ann (b1866) and is consistently given a birth year of c1864.
                    Maddeningly the family were in Newcastle in 1861 and back in Northumberland by 1871 and afterwards. Commons/Thomas was a labourer and both parents were illiterate and made their mark in the church register when they married.

Mary was born Castleton, Roxburgh, Ann in Bathgate West Lothian and John in West Calder, Midlothian, so it looks like they moved around a bit.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Having looked up those 3 places on a map, I'm wondering if Thomas laboured on construction or laying railways? In 1861 & 71 he laboured in factories, in 1881 he was a quarryman and in 1891 he was just recorded as labourer.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

At Mary's birth registration, the address was Whitrop(e) tunnel cottages, Castleton, so I'm guessing that was to do with a railway line and railway company? (When I looked at maps of the districts where the births took place, railway lines were prominent, lol!)

"One of the longest railway tunnels in Scotland at 1208 yards, containing the summit of the former Waverley Route 1006 ft above sea level near its south end with an approach gradient from the north of 1 in 96. It is located in desolate country three miles south of Shankend Viaduct and accommodated a double track. On 2 July 1862, the day after the line was opened, ‘passengers looked out on a snow covered landscape dotted with the rusting abandoned equipment’, which was auctioned from 5– 7 January 1863. Special trains stopped at the south end of the tunnel and at Shankend viaduct for the sales which took place as soon as the trains arrived."

The birth was 10 Sept 1862.

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 09-06-17, 14:25.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I think you are on the right track (sorry :o) with the railways idea. West Calder and Bathgate are not that far from each other and railways/engineering were big in Bathgate. As well as passenger lines, the whole area from the east end of what is now West Lothian right through to the west end and beyond into Lanarkshire was like a spider's web with private commercial lines into a multitude of coal and shale oil pits.
                          Last edited by GallowayLass; 09-06-17, 16:30.

Comment

Thanks for that background information Galloway Lass.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jay looked every which ways for b reg of Thomas. No luck on SP FMP or Ancestry, parents names able to be used for latter two sites.

Did Mary m Wm Cochrane? They are together with mil Catherine McDonough in a census. That Mary gives her pob on 1911 census as Loch Klyne/Kline Water Works, Glasgow.

Vera
                              Last edited by vera2013; 09-06-17, 22:13.

Comment

Edit for above should be Loch Katryne/Katrine

Vera

Comment

Thank you for searching Vera. I am beginning to think that the parents failed to register him

My heart sank when I saw your query about the possibility of daughter Mary having married a Cochrane ;D
                                  I haven't been able to marry off Mary, although I think she may have had a daughter Annie (registered as Annie McDonald and b 12 June1888, bp 27 Mar 1889 St Joseph’s Gateshead) who was recorded as daughter of Thomas & Catherine (now morphed into Macdonald ) in 1891.

I think this is the same family in 1881

In 1871 the family were in Newcastle
                                  Ancestry is playing up and I can't access the image, but here's the reference
                                  (Piece 5123 f 83 p 2)

I have Catherine (now Katherine) in Windy Nook in 1901
                                  with son William in Gateshead in 1911
                                  but with all these changes of name, I could well have it all wrong!

Jay

ETA - here's my earlier thread about them

I still can't link them to my own branch of McDonough/McDonna:(

Jay
                                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 10-06-17, 10:53.
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I did subsequently find that Mary A Cochrane linked to Catherine McDonagh. Different Catherine from your Catherine. Mary A Cochrane mother b 1822 Ireland, living in All Saints.

The Loch Katrine Water Works was another construction project using Irish labour amongst others.

Vera
                                    Last edited by vera2013; 10-06-17, 12:42.

Comment

Thanks, Vera.

Suddenly, tedious household chores seem beckoning whenever I try delving into the murky depths of some of these Irish families. ;D

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Think this is the Mary A who married Cochrane

Derby McDonagh 59 Lab Ireland
                                        Cathrine 47 b 1824 Ireland
                                        Michael 18 Scotland
                                        Mary Ann 14 "
                                        Cathrine 10 "
                                        James 6 Newcastle
                                        St Lawrence Rd All Saints Newcastle

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X