Software advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software advice

My father did extensive genealogy research in the 90s and 2000s before his passing. After he passed away much of his computer files were lost/misplaced.
    Recently, I’ve located some of his files but don’t have any current genealogy software. I believe my father used Family Tree Maker as I found an old version (2005?) of FTM on an old PC computer.

I’m currently a mac user and would like to get current software and try to reconstruct as much of my father’s work as possible. Among the files I’ve found are several .ged files. Does anyone know if these are data files that could be imported into FTM?

I’m looking for ideas or advice on how to proceed? I’m not an experienced genealogy researcher. Thanks for your help!

A .ged file is commonly known as a GEDCOM format file, which is a data file which you should be able to import into most types of family tree software, including FTM. (Windows & Mac)

The normal file format from Family Tree Maker 2005 is FTW or .FBK files and these can be directly imported into FTM versions 2008-2014. However, as they are Windows based I am not sure you could import them directly into the Mac version of the program.

This guide from MacKiev, who now owns FTM, might be helpful
    The official home page for Family Tree Maker customer support, with free live chat 24/7, updates and other resources, for all versions including our newest release, FTM 2019.

and if you need further guidance then it might be worthwhile contacting them via Live Chat.
    If you could not find your answer in our Support Center, and your question is urgent, we'd be happy to have a support agent assist you in a Live Chat (http://www.mackiev.com/techsupport/ftm/livechat.h

There is a new version of the program (FTM 2017) due out any time now (said with fingers firmly crossed as we have been waiting 9 weeks for it already!). You will find a discussion about it here.
    Elaine

Comment

If you have a ged file, you might also want to review some of the other Family History programs before settling on FTM.
      Jane
      Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
      "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Working...
      X