Henry & Caroline Furniss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry & Caroline Furniss

I have Henry B1833 & Caroline B 1832 (Sheffield) on the 1871 & 1881 census along with children George A B1856, John T & Susan B1859, Charles B1861, Mary A B1865 Arthur B1869, Walter B1873. Arthur & Walter married 2 sisters Frances Bertha Watson and Florence Gertrude Watson and are on the 1891 census, along with brother George, living with the inlaws so i am presuming Henry & Caroline are dead. All were born in Sheffield
    I have been unable to find any of the family on the 1861 census and the only marriage i can find for a Henry & Caroline is one in 1846 to a Caroline Butler but that makes them 13 !!!!!
    I would like to find them on the 1861 and also trace Henrys parents/family.

Andrew

It looks like Caroline may have been Henry's second wife. There is a marriage between Henry Furniss and Caroline Strother in Sheffield Q3 1865 and Mary Ann's birth was registered with mother's maiden name Strother Q4 1865 Sheffield, Arthur was registered Q2 1868 in Ecclesall Bierlow, mmn also Strother
    UPDATE or maybe not a second wife, maybe just a delayed marriage, as George Henry was registered with mmn Strother in Sheffield Q1 1856
    Last edited by JudithM; 06-06-17, 18:47.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

No I was right Caroline was his second wife. Possibly sister of his first wife as there is a marriage between Henry Furniss and Mary Ann Strother Q1 1855 Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
        No I was right Caroline was his second wife. Possibly sister of his first wife as there is a marriage between Henry Furniss and Mary Ann Strother Q1 1855 Sheffield
        I think you are right about them being sisters, Judith.
        There is a marriage record on FMP of Henry Furniss marrying Mary Ann Strother 18 Feb 1855 at St Mary, Sheffield. His father was George, her father was Luke. One of the witnesses is Caroline Strother.
        There are also bap records on FMP for Mary Ann and Caroline, both with parents Luke Strother and Ann
        Mary Ann Strother b 31 Aug 1828 bap 21 Sep 1828, Cathedral Church of St Peter and Paul
        Caroline Strother b 16 Mar 1830 bap 16 Oct 1830, same church.

There is also a burial record for a Mary Ann Furniss aged 34 who was buried 6 June 1863, St Mary, Sheffield, which could well be her and ties in with later second marriage of Henry to Caroline.
        I have found Caroline Strother in 1861 but no sign of Henry and Mary Ann and family.

Luke Strother married Ann Pashley 10 May 1826 Cathedral church of St Peter and Paul, Sheffield.

Christine
        Last edited by Karamazov; 06-06-17, 19:57.
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Talk about keep it in the family.

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
            I think you are right about them being sisters, Judith.
            There is a marriage record on FMP of Henry Furniss marrying Mary Ann Strother 18 Feb 1855 at St Mary, Sheffield. His father was George, her father was Luke. One of the witnesses is Caroline Strother.
            There are also bap records on FMP for Mary Ann and Caroline, both with parents Luke Strother and Ann
            Mary Ann Strother b 31 Aug 1828 bap 21 Sep 1828, Cathedral Church of St Peter and Paul
            Caroline Strother b 16 Mar 1830 bap 16 Oct 1830, same church.

There is also a burial record for a Mary Ann Furniss aged 34 who was buried 6 June 1863, St Mary, Sheffield, which could well be her and ties in with later second marriage of Henry to Caroline.
            I have found Caroline Strother in 1861 but no sign of Henry and Mary Ann and family.

Luke Strother married Ann Pashley 10 May 1826 Cathedral church of St Peter and Paul, Sheffield.

Christine
            Thanks Christine that is very helpful

Comment

It was actually illegal at that time to marry your deceased wife's sister but happened fairly often. Imagine the scenario - wife dies, her sister arrives to look after the children while you work. Small house, no spare room for auntie ............

Comment

It was actually illegal at that time to marry your deceased wife's sister but happened fairly often. Imagine the scenario - wife dies, her sister arrives to look after the children while you work. Small house, no spare room for auntie ............
                Stop it Judith you naughty girl......

Comment

... even if the house was larger, there were the optics of the situation ........... "young" unmarried woman living in the house with a single (widowed) man.

If he thought anything of her reputation, he'd marry her, or send her back home!
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Andrew,
                    Going back to your original query, I think this is Caroline's death:
                    Deaths Sep 1889 (>99%)
                    Furniss Caroline 58 Ecclesall Bierlow 9c 212.

Christine
                    Last edited by Karamazov; 07-06-17, 09:49.
                    Researching:
                    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Andrew,
                      Going back to your original query, I think this is Caroline's death:
                      Deaths Sep 1889 (>99%)
                      Furniss Caroline 58 Ecclesall Bierlow 9c 212.

Christine
                      Thank you Christine. is there anything else on Henry's father George or family?

Andrew

Comment

But you already knew that Henry had married two sisters!

OC

Comment

Could this be them on 1861 census? The surname on the image looks like FURUM but hasn't been transcribed

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census
                          80, Leadmill Road, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Henry ... Head Married Male 29 1832 Mineral Agent Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
                          Mary A ... Wife Married Female 31 1830 - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
                          George ... Son - Male 5 1856 - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
                          John J ... Son - Male 2 1859 - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
                          Susann ... Daughter - Female 2 1859 - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
                          Charles ... Son - Male 0 1861 - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

RG09
                          Parish number 3488
                          Enumeration district 129
                          Page number 39
                          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Good find, Kat! I think this is more than likely them, given that John and Susan are twins plus other names and ages tally.
                            Here's the FMP image for anyone who wants a look: http://search.findmypast.com/record?...1%2f0018092881

Christine
                            Last edited by Karamazov; 07-06-17, 10:55.
                            Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              But you already knew that Henry had married two sisters!

OC
                              Think you've misread, OC - the original post refers to two sons of Henry marrying two sisters. The info re Henry Furniss marrying two sisters - Mary Ann and Caroline Strother - only emerges in posts 2-4.

Christine
                              Last edited by Karamazov; 07-06-17, 11:01.
                              Researching:

Comment

Think you've misread, OC - the original post refers to two sons of Henry marrying two sisters. The info re Henry Furniss marrying two sisters - Mary Ann and Caroline Strother - only emerges in posts 2-4.

Christine
                                Yes things can get a little confusing as the brothers Arthur & Walter Furniss married 2 sisters Frances Bertha & Florence Gertrude Watson who's father Herbert Charles Watson married Caroline Furniss who in turn remarried to a Edward Bird and these were all from Sheffield !!!!!

Comment

No, I meant that Andrew has already posted on another forum about this. You are all repeating work which has already been done.

OC

Comment

No, I meant that Andrew has already posted on another forum about this. You are all repeating work which has already been done.

OC
                                    Oh, right - hadn't realised this family had been posted about elsewhere previously. It would have been helpful if Andrew had posted this fuller info in the original post here...
                                    Christine
                                    Researching:

Comment

OC
                                      Thanks OC, and it seems that by February 2016 Andrew also had the 1861 census. The following from another genealogy forum:
                                      Andrew193
                                      23rd February 2016, 19:18

Thanks you stockpot but you have the WRONG Henry.
                                      My Henry is born 1833 and living (in 1861) with 1st wife Mary Ann (Strouther) and children George, William, Susan & Charles. He then re married to her sister (following Mary's death in 1863) Caroline in 1865.

Andrew, if you come back to us with a specific piece of information which you have not already found perhaps we can help, until then I for one have housework to do!
                                      Last edited by JudithM; 07-06-17, 13:10.

Comment

Oh, right - hadn't realised this family had been posted about elsewhere previously. It would have been helpful if Andrew had posted this fuller info in the original post here...
                                        Christine
                                        Have i ?? I must be losing it as i don't remember posting it any where else. :(

Comment

Working...
                                        X