2 babies same name and place, similar birth year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 babies same name and place, similar birth year

Hi, I’mgoing round in circles. How can I check that I have the correct parents when thereare 2 babies with the same name, James Bowie, born 1813 or 1816, in the samesmall parish, Baldernock. I have his parish marriage register entry but it doesn’tmention parents. I know from census records which one of the 2 is “my” JamesBowie (the 1813 one), but I don’t have anything “concrete” to link him to hisparents. I can’t find his death entry, he was living in Kirkintilloch in 1881census. Would the death always be registered in the district he lived in orcould it be registered in his birth parish as I have found 2 deaths inBaldernock which could be his, also would death entry have the parents names?
    Ihope that makes sense! Thanks

had a quick look not found them after 1881 but also not found his death as yet.

Comment

is this your tree on ancestry
      James Bowie
      Birth: 23/11/1813 (23 Nov 1813) - Stirlingshire
      Death: 13/06/1894 (13 Jun 1894) - Baldernock, Stirlingshire
      Marriage: 14/07/1838 (14 Jul 1838) - Campsie, Stirlingshire
      Spouse: Janet Jarvie

Comment

That far back, the death should be registered in the district it took place. Parents, including the mother's maiden surname are included - provided a) the informant knew the information and b) the informant got it correct.

Comment

Good luck. I have two chaps, both called Adam, baptised within a year in the same parish. They were distant cousins. I found out which one was "mine" because he obligingly named one of his daughters after his mother, Kezia, which is slightly unusual name. But it took a while to disentangle them, neither gave an exact birth place on the censuses.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

What are the parent's names that you expect to find?

Comment

Thanks everyone!
              That’s not my tree Val, mine is set as private, but it is ofthe same person. The facts I have which match are the birth, name of Spouse asJanet Jarvie and I didn’t know exact date of marriage as I have only seen the proclamationon 01 Jul 1848. And I don’t have a death date.
              GallowayLass, I think the parents are John Bowie born ~1789and Janet Aird born ~1792, and not James Bowie and Mary Stevenson who areassociated with the farm Whitefaulds.
              From the census, my James Bowie was living in Kirkintillochin 1881. In the 1891 census transcription it is just his wife Janet as head andone daughter Janet. I wonder if there is a transcription error as it givesJanet’s occupation as Vanman Unemployed which would be more appropriate toJames Bowie as he was a Parcel Deliverer in the earlier census.
              I guess the death certificate would need to give his wifeand parents’ names to be sure I have the correct parents.
              Little Nell, that was lucky! Unfortunately, there are a lotof the same names in both families, I think they possibly are cousins.
              Thanks

Comment

How about this death from SP?
                Baldernock, Stg
                James Bowie, van driver, widower of Janet Jarvie. Died 30 June 1894 aged 80 years. Father: John Bowie, handloom weaver (deceased)
                Mother: Janet Bowie, MS Aird (deceased).
                Cause of death: Probably Cardiac disease -very sudden; as certified by Alex Hay, M.D.
                Informant: Robert Morel?, brother (present)
                etc.
                I have saved the image and can send it to you if you PM your email address.

Beverley

Comment

wonder where he is in 1891 then ?

Comment

I suspect Blaeberry's idea that there was a mistranscription of the 1891 was correct....and that it should have been James Bowie, not Janet Bowie, listed

Beverley

Comment

Oh thanks very much Bev! That will be him for sure! I'm surprised it is Baldernock as I don't think they were living there. Could it have been listed there if he wanted buried in the parish he was born in? I'll pm. Thanks very much!

Comment

Working...
                      X