very new to family history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very new to family history

I am just starting out and have an interest in family history, and have found a census of my great grandfather online here -

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I have information from this census. How do you use the information from this census to obtain other censuses that exist even earlier?

Thank you for your time

The familysearch link you quote gives the family in several censuses, so I am puzzled at your question. Can you elaborate?
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

It does show several censuses. The census that I want to use for research is Gustave Meyner born in 1907 and his spouse is Florence Meyner. This is my great grandfather. With the information from that particular census, how do I retrieve censuses of my great-great grandfather, etxc.

Comment

I am still unclear as to your query. It appears from the censuses that your great-grandfather's parents were Gustave b b1878 and Sophi (or Sofi) and his parents were Gustave b c1857 in Germany and Josephine.
        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

I think Paigemeyner means this one Webwiz.

Gustave Meyner
          United States Census, 1940
          Name Gustave Meyner
          Event Type Census
          Event Date 1940
          Event Place Northville, Northville Township, Wayne, Michigan, United States
          Gender Male
          Age 33
          Marital Status Married
          Race (Original) White
          Race White
          Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Head
          Relationship to Head of Household Head
          Birthplace New Jersey
          Birth Year (Estimated) 1907
          Last Place of Residence Rural, Oakland, Michigan

Gustave Meyner Head M 33 New Jersey
          Florence Meyner Wife F 29 Illinois

It might be a good idea if you are just starting out to have a look at the Getting Started pages in our reference library here :

It is very comprehensive in showing what first steps you need to take with lots of links to various sites for searching.

How can you be sure for example that these are your great grandparents? Do you have your parents and Grandparents birth and marriage certificates?
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 23-05-17, 21:50.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

My great grandfather's census is the census in my original post. My great-great grandfather is Gustave married to Sophie and his father was married to Josephine. Figured that out. I don't know how to continue research from my great-great-great grandfather's census. how do I get access to an even earlier census than the one of my great-great-great grandfather?

Comment

I am assuming you have seen this 1900 census for Holyoke City, Mass.

This is the earliest census I can see for Gustave and Josephine. He immigrated in 1867.
              I think you will need Ancestry in order to find the earlier censuses. Perhaps someone with Ancestry Worldwide or Ancestry .com can help you out here.

Knowing his date of immigration have you looked for US passenger list arrivals ?
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 23-05-17, 22:57.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I'm taking an introductory college course in genealogy and I think I misunderstood some things about finding censuses...its hard to explain but I think I get what the problem was now. Thanks everyone for your help I'm going to use the helpful links you gave me -ancestry.com and the familytree.com one to get started. I think I can take it from here, thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                X