What happened to Sophia Morum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Sophia Morum?

Sophia MORUM (nee SIMMONDS born c1808) is on the 1841 census in Shoe Lane with her carpenter husband John and their two children. They had lived there since at least 1836 when John was awarded a Royal Humane Society medal for rescuing a child from a privy in Blackfriars (the medal came up for sale in 2008). They had married on 30 Jun 1828 in Bromley, Kent which is where John was born, and their infant son Samuel died there in 1833.

I can find no trace of Sophia after 1841. John married again in 1844 at St Pancras to Mary Willmore saying he was a bachelor (untrue), carpenter (true), and his father was Samuel Morum dec’d (true) and a daughter Marianne was bapt in 1849 born 2 Aug 1848 with a note that the father was a carpenter abroad while the mother lived in Hampstead. This tallies with his emigration to New York, though I haven't found him on a passenger list I have his burial there in 1875, and daughter Rosina her husband Richard EVERED & children travelling there in 1873, she was back in England by 1881 with an American born half brother.

Any help appreciated.

What about Sophia Morham died March quarter 1861 in West London Volume: 1c Page: 48. GRO gives age as 55 which is close. Sorry but I haven't got time to look and see if I can find this one on the census.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thankyou Chrissie, this sounds promising, the West London district covers where she lived in 1841. I had not thought about other spellings
      Last edited by Jill on the A272; 18-05-17, 18:24.

Comment

Have you looked for the children in 1851 and 1861?
        Last edited by Sylvia C; 18-05-17, 21:18.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sophia Morham was 55 when she died...GRO deaths
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
            Have you looked for the children in 1851 and 1861?
            John (John Samuel) disappears though there is a John S Morum who fought in the American civil war, and I have traced Rosina forward which has helped with her father but not her brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
              Thankyou. The only age I have for her was from the 1841 census which as we know was supposed to be rounded, though her age was given there as 33. I've had no luck with the 1851 census

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                See my post #2 ;):D
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Just Sophia as far as I am aware. At some point I may get the death cert but I have other ones higher on my wants list. Thankyou everyone for looking.

Comment

Whoops, sorry Chrissie
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
                    X