Marriage of a Freemason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage of a Freemason

Are Freemason's marriages kept separate from this usual GRO.

This is 20th Century..I am asking for someone else

Thanks

Linda

Eh??? Freemasons are just ordinary people and their marriages are recorded by the GRO. Freemasons do not perform their own marriages, Freemasonry is not a religion.

OC

Comment

Well apparently there are Freemasons marriage ceremonies but I also assumed they would be on the GRI

Thanks OC

Linda

Comment

Can't say I've heard that one before. My Dad was a mason and he and Mum were married in church.
        Barb

Comment

I just Googled it and it said there are Freemason Marriages but didn't actually say they also had to be registered, I suspected they did but wasn't 100% certain

Thanks

Comment

I'm married to a mason who is son and grandson of a mason. All marriages took place in local church or in our case a hotel.
            I have never heard of a "mason's marriage" before. They would not have taken place in masonic premises as we women just ain't allowed in the meeting room whilst the lodge is open in whatever degree the meeting requires.
            I will ask hubby to ask the master and/or the secretary whether or not they have ever heard of lodges keeping records books noting member's marriages for their own interest.

Can you post the link that you found please as I'd be interested to read the article.

Comment

I have just googled masonic marriages and can only find reference to USA things, talking about the effect that Freemasonry membership can have on a marriage. Nothing about wedding ceremonies.

Freemasonry is a club, if you like and a masonic club can no more perform a wedding ceremony than a cricket club can, certainly not in the UK.

A marriage is only legal and valid in the UK if it is performed by an authorised person, usually clergy or registrar, who are then duty bound to report it to the local RO.

OC

Comment

My brother was a mason. OH's father was also a mason and apparently reached quite high levels in the lodge.

Neither ever mentioned anything about Freemason marriages ........... and as others have said, women are not allowed in the lodge at meeting times.

Interestingly, f-i-l refused to have anything to do with the Freemasons over here, although he would often visit other lodges in the UK ............ he said the US Freemason were "NOT" Freemasons.

Whatever that might mean!!
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Is this what you found? http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/Masonic%20Wedding.htm

I imagine that even if such a ceremony took place it would have to be supplemented with the appropriate legal ceremony required by law.

But as others have said it is not something we hear of in the UK.
                  Margaret
                  Last edited by margaretmarch; 16-05-17, 16:15.

Comment

The article that Margaret has linked states that the Masonic wedding ceremony takes place after the legal civil ceremony. It is therefore a celebration of a marriage and has no legal significance. An analogy would be a church blessing after a civil marriage.

OC

Comment

Very interesting article. The final part with the photos of the wedding of Nesty implies that an actual legal wedding took place, as does the account from Australia.
                      The wording of the ceremony as used in Turkish lodges appears to have come from a Christian/Judaic source. It is rather lovely.
                      It's a shame it is not recognised and worked in Scotland or the rest of the UK. Being married to a cancer survivor, should we be lucky enough to reach 10 years of marriage, it would be a great way to celebrate commitment as that is what the ceremony is all about.

Comment

Working...
                      X