Bit of a Foulds problem... again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of a Foulds problem... again

Trying [again] to find info on my Foulds' families, I have some on the 1841 cens but I can find NO trace of after, but interestingly there is another Foulds family with same names, but slightly different ages. Very frustrating!.

for example Caroline Foulds [I know she was b 1840 Loughborough as I have the ref] FOULDS, CAROLINE mmn HUTCHINSON
    GRO Reference: 1840 J Quarter in THE LOUGHBOROUGH UNION Volume 15 Page 149.

on the 1841 cens she is shown as 3yrs old. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...31&usePUB=true
    Source Citation
    Class: HO107; Piece: 188; Book: 2; Civil Parish: St Alkmund; County: Derbyshire; Enumeration District: 19; Folio: 20; Page: 35; Line: 16; GSU roll: 241292

on the other 1841 she is shown as 12m http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...v=1&ml_rpos=19
    Source Citation
    Class: HO107; Piece: 869; Book: 4; Civil Parish: St Mary; County: Nottinghamshire; Enumeration District: 1; Folio: 36; Page: 23; Line: 15; GSU roll: 474569

BUT, The Caroline with MMN Hutchinson [her mother should be Elizabeth, as per 1st census] I cannot find any of the others in 2nd census. and others have Elizabeth dying in 1843 after the birth of daughter Emma b. 1843, [I have her dying in 1848!] I have a burial record BUT I cannot find a death in the index.. [well, there is one, but she was 78 when she died so not that Elizabeth Foulds!]
    FOULDS, ELIZABETH 78
    GRO Reference: 1843 M Quarter in SHARDLOW UNION Volume 19 Page 447. somehow don't see her as giving birth in 1843 do you?

I am most confused now and have been going round with this for ages.. Ideas please
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

How do you know that the Caroline with mother Hutchinson should be Elizabeth Julie? Have you got the birth cert? Otherwise the 1841 with her as 12 months appears to possibly have a mother Ann, who may have been a Hutchinson originally?
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 03-05-17, 10:29.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Gosh, you're right, it is confusing. In 1851 the Caroline who is 11 has William and Elizabeth as parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
        I'm getting confused as usual I take it this is the WRONG Foulds in 1851? -
        http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...%208&ml_rpos=1
        No, they are the right family.

How do you know that the Caroline with mother Hutchinson should be Elizabeth Julie? Have you got the birth cert? Otherwise the 1841 with her as 12 months appears to possibly have a mother Ann, who may have been a Hutchinson originally?
        erm, I have a baptism for Caroline, and William her father marries Eliz/sabeth Hutchinson in long Whatton 1820. [they have 9 children together]

Gosh, you're right, it is confusing. In 1851 the Caroline who is 11 has William and Elizabeth as parents.
        Elizabeth with William on the 1851 census is his daughter Elizabeth, however in 1858 William marries again to Hannah Holbrook and has another child Charles. [he states on his marriage to Hannah he is a widow]
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 03-05-17, 12:49.
        Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie
          Can you think of any reason why Elizabeth might have died elsewhere? I have checked the deaths against ages of all the Elizabeth Foulds between 1840 and 1851 and this is the only one where the age fits.
          FOULDS, ELIZABETH - 49 - GRO Reference: 1849 S Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 15 Page 19

Comment

What is the date of the burial that you've got for Elizabeth?
            Jackie

Comment

Thanks Julie
              Can you think of any reason why Elizabeth might have died elsewhere? I have checked the deaths against ages of all the Elizabeth Foulds between 1840 and 1851 and this is the only one where the age fits.
              FOULDS, ELIZABETH - 49 - GRO Reference: 1849 S Quarter in BARROW UPON SOAR Volume 15 Page 19
              No, I have thought long and hard about this and I just can't find the solution... have no idea! she has to have died 'somewhere' doesn't she? ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wait a mo, I have had a thought!

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
              What is the date of the burial that you've got for Elizabeth?
              give me a mo Jackie
              Last edited by Darksecretz; 03-05-17, 14:14.
              Julie

Comment

Jackie,

Name Elizabeth Foulds
                Birth Date 1802
                Burial Date 02 Sep 1848
                Burial Place Darley Abbey, Darley Abbey, Derbyshire, England
                Death Age 46
                Julie

Comment

There's a death on FreeBMD of Elizabeth Foulkes in Q/E Sept 1848, Derby Vol 19 Page 372

It doesn't show in the GRO indexes but comes up as Elizabeth Foulks same Vol and Page numbers and registered in "The Derby Union" (not sure what that covers). It gives her age as 46. Wonder whether the surname could have been mistranscribed
                  Jackie

Comment

aha.. I think I have found Elizabeth's death ref..

Name: Elizabeth Foulkes
                    Registration Year: 1848
                    Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
                    Registration district: Derby
                    Inferred County: Derbyshire
                    Volume: 19
                    Page: 372

but I have no way of knowing how old she was as she doesn't appear in the DoVE index, [I have reported it now so it should get included]
                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

but I have no way of knowing how old she was as she doesn't appear in the DoVE index, [I have reported it now so it should get included]
                      Julie see my previous post - we must have been posting at the same time
                      Last edited by Night Owl; 03-05-17, 14:32.
                      Jackie

Comment

snap Jackie.. think it's a case of being misheard like you said. brilliant :smilee:

though it still doesn't answer why Caroline is supposed to be 3 on the 1841 cens yet she was born in 1840! and no trace of Caroline/Ann/Henry Foulds from the other 1841 census anywhere else!

just don't know what to think!

They were either abducted by Aliens or were enumerated twice for whatever reason, it doesn't help that with Elizabeth and the children in 1841 the person with her is JOHN FOULDS not WILLIAM and I can't find him anywhere either!.. [not unless he was a John William Foulds] but I haven't found anything else to suggest this was so.
                        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

Julie do you mean the GRO indexes - she is there as Foulks, Elizabeth, age 46, same reference numbers as above
                          Last edited by ozgirl; 03-05-17, 14:43.
                          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                            Julie do you mean the GRO indexes - she is there as Foulks, Elizabeth, age 46, same reference numbers as above
                            how odd! that is deffo her Linda, just that on the actual typed image on Ancestry it shows the name as FOULKES.. ho hum..

back in a bit, school run beckons! :smilee:

thank you Chris, Jackie and Linda x
                            Julie

Comment

Working...
                            X