Why does it have to be Brown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does it have to be Brown?

Any one feeling bored, I have been looking for the last four hours and at the end of my tether, I am looking for Lilian Brown, on the 1939 register she states her dob is 14 Oct 1896. I have her MC she married George Wyatt on 21 Dec 1935, her full name on Cert is shown as Lilian Florence Rose Brown, her father is Thomas Brown, Occupation Carman. I have tried to find her birth and on the 1901 and 1911 census return. I thought despite the surname with her christian names it would be easy finding her but alas.

This is my first person with the surname Brown, now I can understand why people find it a challenge looking for someone with this surname LOL.

Can any one find her please please
    GWEN

Hi Gwen,

where was she born please [or reputed to be born]..

I have lots of Browns
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      Hi Gwen,

where was she born please [or reputed to be born]..

I have lots of Browns
      I don't really know I am assuming it was London she was my great uncles wife who was defiantly born in Bethnal Green, (they lived in the same house my Great grandfather lived in) he died there in 1960 and he was still living there in Middleton Street, Bethnal Green. I cannot find her death but she was living when George died as she is the informant and the last time I found her after his death on the electoral rolls was in the 1960's
      GWEN

Comment

Its amazing because I have been trying to find more about this person for a long time it was not until the 1939 register was released I found both of them still together I was amazed to discover her name was Lilian. I always called her A Lizzie as did everyone, so that is why I have never been able to find her as I was looking for Lizzie or Elizabeth.
        I find it funny even though I was very young I remember both of them fondly they were such nice people. He was my dads Uncle he used to take me to visit them but was always told Lizzie was not really my Aunty, I found out when I was older it was because they were not married. George and Lizzie told everyone they got married without telling anyone, but no one believed them why I don't know! Now years on I have proved they were married as their certificate arrived today and even with more details I am still having trouble finding her, may be she does not want to be found!
        GWEN

Comment

hmmn it could be that she was married before and that her then husband hadn't died? and only when he had died did they marry.

It might be that she was born Lilian Brown but added other names later on not unheard of. Do the witness' names on the marriage cert glean any info at all Gwen?
          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            hmmn it could be that she was married before and that her then husband hadn't died? and only when he had died did they marry.

It might be that she was born Lilian Brown but added other names later on not unheard of. Do the witness' names on the marriage cert glean any info at all Gwen?
            I think they did not marry because George's wife was still alive once she died they married, he is shown as widower and she as a spinster on MC. I have just been looking at the Witness' names but not turned up anything as yet. They are John Charles Hand, and Ada Rebecca York, I was hoping she was a sister but nothing yet to prove that. I've been going through all the Browns in London on the census returns but not found a Lilian with a father called Thomas and still looking at options as to why she called herself Lizzie.
            GWEN

Comment

In the London School Admission Registers on Ancestry there is an Elizabeth Brown born 14.10.1896 who has a father called Thomas Brown

There's a birth in Q/E December 1896 Shoreditch of Elizabeth Florence Brown and the GRO register shows her mother's maiden name as Govett

There's a marriage of Thomas Brown and Elizabeth Govett on Dec 28th 1895. Thomas's occupation is carman.

Last edited by Night Owl; 02-05-17, 17:55.
              Jackie

Comment

How did you do that you are amazing I been looking on and off all day thank you so much I am absolutely thrilled to bits I cant thank you enough.

I just don't understand why she is calling herself Lilian Florence Rose on her marriage certificate and Lilian on the 1939 register was she trying to hide We always called her A Lizzie I just don't get it LoL

thank you again
                GWEN

Comment

You're welcome Gwen. I've got a few tricky London ones myself so have got used to looking in various places.

Lilian may have been one of her other middle names. Or she could be like my late mother in law who picked a name she preferred. It wasn't until I started doing the family tree that I discovered what her names were when her birth was registered.
                  Jackie

Comment

I work with a girl called "Lil" or "Lily". Her ID says "Elizabeth"........who knows how the victorians got their nicknames. Like "Jack" for "John".

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                      Any one feeling bored, I have been looking for the last four hours and at the end of my tether, I am looking for Lilian Brown, on the 1939 register she states her dob is 14 Oct 1896. I have her MC she married George Wyatt on 21 Dec 1935, her full name on Cert is shown as Lilian Florence Rose Brown, her father is Thomas Brown, Occupation Carman. I have tried to find her birth and on the 1901 and 1911 census return. I thought despite the surname with her christian names it would be easy finding her but alas.

This is my first person with the surname Brown, now I can understand why people find it a challenge looking for someone with this surname LOL.

Can any one find her please please
                      I must be being thick but if she married in 1935 surely her name on the 1939 register was Wyatt??

As regards names I had 2 uncles who were referred to as Jack and Billy so that would lead you to think their names were John and William but no - one was Henry Charles and the other Philip Lauriston !!

Margaret
                      Last edited by margaretmarch; 03-05-17, 07:19.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                        I must be being thick but if she married in 1935 surely her name on the 1939 register was Wyatt??

As regards names I had 2 uncles who were referred to as Jack and Billy so that would lead you to think their names were John and William but no - one was Henry Charles and the other Philip Lauriston !!

Margaret
                        Definitely thick re-read your post and you are saying you found her on the 1939 and were looking for her elsewhere.

I'm going back to bed see if that will get the brain working later today.

Margaret

Comment

The Queen was called Lilibet as a child because she couldn't say Elizabeth properly. If it's good enough for the Queen then it's good enough for the Browns, lol.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            The Queen was called Lilibet as a child because she couldn't say Elizabeth properly. If it's good enough for the Queen then it's good enough for the Browns, lol.

OC
                            I was just about to say the same OC! Elizabeth = Lilibet = Lily... :smilee:
                            Julie

Comment

Hi everyone
                              I get all your points as I have had aunts that have taken ages to find because we always called her aunt Susan but found out her real name was Joan another who we called Ciss her name was Ada and many more. I just thought about this one why would she put her name on her marriage certificate as Lilian Florence Rose when we all called her Aunt Lizzie. I must admit even though I was young when they were around I always got the feeling there was secrets surrounding them but back then I've found no one used to talk much about family matters. I am just glad I found her as I have such lovely memories of her so I am pleased now I can include her in my family tree. Thanks everyone for all your input.
                              GWEN

Comment

Working...
                              X