• Coroner's Reports Online from 25th July 2013

Apparently this is a new law that they have to be published

Click on the area you want to look at, then the name then the PDH

Linda

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
    Apparently this is a new law that they have to be published

Click on the area you want to look at, then the name then the PDH

Linda
    This seems to be suggesting it will only be those reports where the Coroner thinks there is something to be learnt from the findings.

Margaret

Comment

These are just the reports where the coroner makes a formal recommendation to another body - not the findings of all inquests.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
        These are just the reports where the coroner makes a formal recommendation to another body - not the findings of all inquests.
        Thanks for confirming what I thought - useful only if it is someone of interest to you.

Margaret

Comment

Linda, Many thanks for your post. The Coroners report I am looking for is 1942 - it relates to a wartime incident in the Home Guard. I suspect it is far too old for the currently released publications. I am looking for the Coroners Report on William Foster of the Home Guard - the court would probably be Salisbury - he died on Salisbury Plain.
          I suspect it may be available at Kew but have not found that
          it is so far. Sue
          (as I cannot drive at the moment (health reasons) I imagine it is possible to order online from TNA?)
          Last edited by Sue1; 07-05-17, 13:55.

Comment

Sue

Coroner's reports are not routinely kept and I doubt very much if yours would be at Kew. The best you can hope for generally is a newspaper report, but as it was wartime and IF the death was wsr- related, it might not have been made public in the interests of national security.

OC

Comment

The court was Salisbury and the Coroner was Mr AM Wilson, who held the Inquest on 16/9/1942 into a tragic accident while the Alderbury Home Guard were training with live hand grenades. One grenade was thrown and struck the top of a bank and rolled backward towards a group of soldiers. Lt William Foster, 61, threw himself immediately on the grenade and was killed instantly but by his actions, none of the men were hurt. The Coroner was apparently critical of the Home Guard bomb range and paid a tribute to the memory of William Foster reported in the Dundee Courier of 17/9/1942 as Coroner's Tribute to Home Guard Hero, 'Deserves Highest Recognition'.
              I do not have a sub currently for FMP but there are many newspaper reports across the country on the incident, the funeral at Alderbury on 18/9/1942 and, in November 1942, on the posthumous award of the George Cross to Lieut. William Foster, Home Guard. It is also apparent that in the previous world war, William Foster won the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) and the Military Cross (MC). A very brave man indeed, of whom his family must have very proud memories.

merleyone

Comment

Oh well found merleyone! I bet Sue will be thrilled with this.

OC

Comment

Hi Merleyone, Thankyou very much for your detailed information on William Foster. I was delighted to receive it. Sue

Comment

Working...
                  X