Google Chrome problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome problem

For the last few days, I have not been able to use Google Chrome as my browser on my desktop PC (Windows 8)
    I keep getting a page saying:
    Your connection is not private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information from support.google.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
    Automatically report details of possible security incidents to Google. Privacy policy
    ReloadHIDE ADVANCED
    support.google.com normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Google Chrome tried to connect to support.google.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be support.google.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Google Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.
    You cannot visit support.google.com right now because the website uses HSTS. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later. Learn more.

I have tried the widely advised solution of checking time/date settings but this did not resolve the problem. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Google Chrome but still get the above.

Any solutions anyone?

Thanks,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

have you tried clearing your cookies ? failing that have you seen these errors
    If you get an error message when you try to visit a website, try these fixes. If your error isn't listed below, learn how to fix page loading errors or

Comment

Hi Val,
      Yes I think I've tried all these.
      As for cookies, I don't think there will be any, as I uninstalled Google Chrome and then reinstalled.
      I also installed Mozilla yesterday as an alternative browser but have the same connection not private problem with that too.
      Very frustrating...
      Christine
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Are you sure the message isn't coming from your anti-virus/web security?

I would be surprised if Chrome and Firefox had exactly the same problem as they are built on different engines, and it also rules out cookies as each browser stores it's own.
        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

I've no idea Pete!
          How can I check that out? Antivirus is Microsoft Defender.
          Christine
          Researching:

Comment

maybe I'm wrong but are you sure cookies get deleted when you uninstall googlechrome??
            you could install and run Malwarebytes
            Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 5.0.17.99-1.0.1169 for Windows. Fast downloads of the latest free software! Click now

and maybe superantispyware
            Download SUPERAntiSpyware 10.0.1246 for Windows. Fast downloads of the latest free software! Click now
            Last edited by Guest; 02-05-17, 13:35.

Comment

Val, cookies don't automatically get deleted when you uninstall a browser, but the same is happening with Firefox and they store their cookies separately.

Looking around the internet, this is a very common problem, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive cause (or solution). For many people it has been a combination of things that have caused it, and it isn't related to just one browser or anti-virus.

Most of the solutions involve using command prompts and the registry editor, which should not be done unless you are sure you know what you are doing.

There seems to be some success with releasing and reassigning the IP address your router assigns to your PC. You can't do any permanent damage if you get this wrong, as it will automatically sort itself out when you reboot.

Click on the start menu and type 'cmd'; you should see 'command prompt' pop up. Select this and you will get a small window with a black background and white text

Type:- ipconfig /release
              Return
              Then:- ipconfig /renew
              Return
              Then:- ipconfig /flushdns
              Return

If this doesn't work try turning Defender off temporarily (I'm not sure how to do this as I haven't used Defender for some time), but there should be something in the control panel, or right clicking the Defender icon in the system tray. When it is turned off, try Google again (you can be reasonably sure that Google is a safe website). If it works then the problem is being reported by Defender, but that isn't necessarily what is causing it, but it is a starting point.
              Last edited by PeteW1959; 02-05-17, 15:45.
              Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
              Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

thanks Pete I wasn't sure about the cookies.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
                  Val, cookies don't automatically get deleted when you uninstall a browser, but the same is happening with Firefox and they store their cookies separately.

Looking around the internet, this is a very common problem, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive cause (or solution). For many people it has been a combination of things that have caused it, and it isn't related to just one browser or anti-virus.

Most of the solutions involve using command prompts and the registry editor, which should not be done unless you are sure you know what you are doing.

There seems to be some success with releasing and reassigning the IP address your router assigns to your PC. You can't do any permanent damage if you get this wrong, as it will automatically sort itself out when you reboot.

Click on the start menu and type 'cmd'; you should see 'command prompt' pop up. Select this and you will get a small window with a black background and white text

Type:- ipconfig /release
                  Return
                  Then:- ipconfig /renew
                  Return
                  Then:- ipconfig /flushdns
                  Return

If this doesn't work try turning Defender off temporarily (I'm not sure how to do this as I haven't used Defender for some time), but there should be something in the control panel, or right clicking the Defender icon in the system tray. When it is turned off, try Google again (you can be reasonably sure that Google is a safe website). If it works then the problem is being reported by Defender, but that isn't necessarily what is causing it, but it is a starting point.
                  Hi Pete,
                  I'd already tried turning Defender off and checking time and date settings. I've had another go at both just now, plus the incognito page tip - all to no avail.

I've had enough of it for today. If no further possible solutions forthcoming overnight, I'll give your command prompt tip a go tomorrow.
                  Thanks,
                  Christine
                  Researching:

Comment

Working...
                  X