PDA

View Full Version : Read death cert?

jood
01-05-17, 03:43
Could some kind person be able to read the last item (426 - Margaret Downie) - I know it's Ayr district, but cannot read anything else.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/joody_anne/4b7b4a3b-d420-47c6-81bc-9e016df3ed5e.jpg

fran
01-05-17, 08:58
Just guessing! married to Daniel Downie,labourer.?pm Moss Street.59.father James Grant? labourer?,mother Janet Grant ms Cooke deceased.Not Certified. Daniel Downie widower.1865 December 18th at Ayre A.G Smith assistant registrar

Chrissie Smiff
01-05-17, 09:22
Hi Jood:) I would normally have moved this to Research but I think it may be more readable if someone could improve the image for you. If not, Scotlands People are very helpful if you tell them that you can't read a cert.

Katarzyna
01-05-17, 10:41
I agree with Fran but adding that after father James Grant, Labourer it says deceased.

jood
01-05-17, 12:10
Late here girls, will have a look in the morning - thanks for the input - will check, and if necessary contact Scotlands People.

I do appreciate your help.

jood
01-05-17, 22:57
You girls did well - it all fits in now - thanks again for your help.

GallowayLass
01-05-17, 23:42
Margaret Downie married to Daniel Downie, Labourer.
1865 Seventeenth December 3h. 30m. P.M. Cross Street, St. Quivox
F
69 years
James Grant Labourer (Deceased)
Janet Grant m.s. Crooks (Deceased)
Not Certified
Daniel Downie, Widower
1865 December 18th at Ayr
[Sorry can't read the Asst. Registrar's name)

Cross Street was in Wallacetown which is now incorporated into the suburbs of Ayr.
In case you did not know already, Daniel Downie died 1872 in The House of Refuge, Cross Street. It might be worth contacting Ayrshire Archives to see if they have admission registers for this institution as Margaret may well also have died there. Sometimes when people died in institutions or asylums where shame may have been visited upon the family if the name of the place was written on the death certificate, registrars would use the street name (sometimes the door number was also given) in an effort not to stigmatise.

Cross Street seems to no longer exist but the census header page says it was between Wallace Street and Limond's Wynd. The latter does still exist.

There are numerous mentions of Margaret in ancestry trees but those who have her death do not have the correct person/place. They have her dying in 1862 in Banffshire! Some also have the wrong parents.

Margaret was baptised 9 June 1805 in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire - daughter of James Grant and Janet Crooks. She married Daniel Downie 4 June 1826 in Maybole, Ayrshire.

1841 census the family are in Dalhowan Street, Crosshill, Ayrshire
1851 census the familyare in Craigoch Park Cottage, Kirkmichael parish, Ayrshire
1861 census, the couple are not together. No idea why. Daniel is at Burnhouse, Kirkmichael parish with children John and Agnes. Don't know where Margaret is. She isn't with her daughter Elizabeth, now Mrs. Thomas McConnell who incidentally in 1871 is also in Cross Street. Elizabeth was the informant for her father's death.
1871 Daniel appears to be lodging at 6 Barend Street, Millport, Isle of Cumbrae

GallowayLass
02-05-17, 01:03
Looking at old and new maps, I think I am correct in saying Cross Street is now where the southern side of A719 King Street is on Google maps. If you enlarge this 1895/96 map you will see Limond's Wynd running down the right hand side of the Iron Foundry and the mission Church from Russell Street at the top to George Street at the bottom. It is named at the bottom end.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/82868013

GallowayLass
02-05-17, 01:23
James Grant and Janet Crooks married 10 August 1797 in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire.

Can't find a baptism for Daniel but his parents Daniel Downie and Margaret Davidson married 28 January 1790 in Kirkoswald, Ayrshire.