1911 census help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census help needed.

Can someone please check a 1911 census entry for me? It is for Walter Welch (c1880) and wife Lillian, living in Barton upon Humber Lincolnshire. A contact of mine has found a fantastic postcard from the 1st World war from a Walter Welch to his wife living at The Maltkins Barton upon Humber. It mentions a child Wilfred, but refers to his wife as Rose. I am hoping Lillian and Rose are the same person

Many thanks
    Lynn

1911 Burton Stather - Walter Welch 30 yrs, Lillian 27 yrs, George Reubon 4, Stanley 2, Amy Frances 0yrs

Walter Welch mar Lilian Bowers Q1 1906 Glanford Brigg reg Dist

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 30-04-17, 21:31.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks, that looks like the right Walter, are you sure it was Burton Stather?
      Lynn

Comment

Sorry Lynn , I was catching up on a "missed" programme.
        The address Walter entered on the census sheet was " Burton Stather, Doncaster." Walter was born BArton, Lincoln and was employed as a joiner on a private estate. Lillian was born Hull, Yorks and all the children at BUrton.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 30-04-17, 23:06.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

It seems that ancestry will offer Barton upon Humber, Leicestershire OR Lincolnshire

ie, they say no such place in Lincolnshire when I try to enter where they were living!!

The only Walter Welch /Welsh showing up is for the one that Jay found
          Last edited by Sylvia C; 30-04-17, 23:57.
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

let's see if we can go at it another way ............

when was the child William born?
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

This looks like Lilian's birth registration .......... only 1 name registered

BOWERS, LILIAN mmn WADDINGHAM
              GRO Reference: 1884 M Quarter in HULL Volume 09D Page 269

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn The Forest Fan View Post
                Can someone please check a 1911 census entry for me? It is for Walter Welch (c1880) and wife Lillian, living in Barton upon Humber Lincolnshire. A contact of mine has found a fantastic postcard from the 1st World war from a Walter Welch to his wife living at The Maltkins Barton upon Humber. It mentions a child Wilfred, but refers to his wife as Rose. I am hoping Lillian and Rose are the same person

Many thanks
                Rose may have been a 'pet' name.
                Margaret

Comment

I have uploaded the postcard, so you can see it. It is definitely addressed to a Mrs WelCh, although I did wonder if it was from Walter WelSh as there was one of those in Barton as well. I can't find a marriage for Walter Welsh or a birth for Wilfrid Welch. Walter and Lilian appear to be in Barton in 1939 and he is buried there.
                  Attached Files
                  Lynn

Comment

There is a Public member tree for him on Ancestry, which might show if he had a child called Wilfrid
                    Lynn

Comment

That family don't appear to have had a son Wilfred I'm afraid.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie, it would appear to be a different family.
                        Lynn

Comment

This probably isn't much help, even if the card was written in the second world war, but thought I would post it anyway.
                          In 1939 I found The Malkiln and at number 4 there is a family of John W Welch born 24-1-1889 and his wife Rose E Welch (nee Robinson I discovered) born Jan 1887. They have a daughter Eileen J Welch born 6th March 1927. They got married in Sept 1913 in Glandford Brigg and appear to have also had a son Charles Wilfred Welch 15th May 1914. Charles Wilfred isn't with them in 1939 (no one redacted) but he didn't die until Sept 1990 in Scunthorpe and Barton upon Humber. Of course it doesn't help much but I couldn't resist posting it.

Comment

I think that it does help Chrissie, the W could stand for Walter and this one is related to me by both his parents. It would explain why I couldn't locate the family in 1911 and if Chrales Wilfred was born in 1914 it would fit with the way Walter refers to him in the postcard.

Sadly the W is for William:(
                            Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 01-05-17, 11:48.
                            Lynn

Comment

Chrissie, you are brilliant! This is the family, not quite sure why John signed as Walt, he was apparently known as Will. He is only a fairly distant relative, 2nd cousin twice removed, but it is a lovely thing to have a photo of. Thank you
                              Lynn

Comment

You're very welcome Lynn

Comment

Returning to the signature on the postcard and viewing with a magnifying glass, it looks far more like Will than Walt. The last two letters both end in a loop and the last one is not crossed either as might reasonably be expected with a T. No help with the letter I as written as neither Wilfred nor Will shows any dot over the I in the names.

merleyone

Comment

Originally posted by merleyone View Post
                                    Returning to the signature on the postcard and viewing with a magnifying glass, it looks far more like Will than Walt. The last two letters both end in a loop and the last one is not crossed either as might reasonably be expected with a T. No help with the letter I as written as neither Wilfred nor Will shows any dot over the I in the names.

merleyone
                                    I agree that the signature does look more like Will than Walt.
                                    Margaret

Comment

I actually agree, but my contact apparently found it on ebay, searching "Walter Welch" very strange.

This is the other side of the postcard
                                      Lynn

Comment

It definitely looks like Will on that side Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                        X