Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best subscription for Scottish searching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best subscription for Scottish searching?

Hi, my ancestry subscription is due to expire soon and I was wondering what the alternatives are as I've been generally disappointed with my Scottish searches so far.
    I don't like that it only shows an index entry, no certificate image. I have visited a family search library a couple of times and got good results for certificates there for the daily fee but I feel if I was paying to view each one (most of them the wrong one!), I would be aware of the cost of each click which may take the enjoyment of wild searching away!
    I wonder what you think are good options? Thanks

For Scottish research you really need Scotland People - https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
    It's pay-per-view and if you click on the Our Charges link you will see the options.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaeberry View Post
      Hi, my ancestry subscription is due to expire soon and I was wondering what the alternatives are as I've been generally disappointed with my Scottish searches so far.
      I don't like that it only shows an index entry, no certificate image. I have visited a family search library a couple of times and got good results for certificates there for the daily fee but I feel if I was paying to view each one (most of them the wrong one!), I would be aware of the cost of each click which may take the enjoyment of wild searching away!
      I wonder what you think are good options? Thanks
      On scotlandspeople you get the full register entry much cheaper than certificates for England and Wales records. Indexed search results are free so you can do the wild card searching without thinking of the cost but you have to have enough information or speculation to be able to narrow down which images you look at.

I use ancestry to narrow down through transcriptions of Census and then can go direct to the image on scotlandspeople and pay just for that image.

Margaret
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 30-04-17, 08:37.

Comment

Thanks to both for you replies. I just bought 40 credits to give Scotland's People a go. I had name, DoB, district lived in and I searched for DC. 3 hits had correct district but were all wrong person! So I'm not off to a good start! I'll have to be more disciplined which doesn't really suit me! Thanks

Comment

I guess you have already tried familysearch.org scottish records to narrow down your relatives? if not its worth having a go and its free!
          and maybe google persons name and death date in google to see what comes up.
          Last edited by angelina; 30-04-17, 11:25. Reason: forgot something
          Angelina

Comment

Hi Angelina, thanks. I have tried using that but I either got hundred of hits or none! I think its me though and not the websites that are the problem. I will try to be more methodical and give it another go.

Comment

If you give use some information about the name(s) you are searching perhaps we can point you in the right direction.
              Margaret

Comment

Just a wee point - I have been caught out before when searching a particular area. Boundaries do change and it is sometimes worth having a wider look.
                For example - Glasgow may make you think of Lanarkshire but some places in Glasgow now eg Cathcart were once in Renfrewshire.
                They were small villages before being incorporated into Glasgow as it grew to be a bigger city.
                Sorry - not explaining very well and my example may be wrong but what I am trying to say is if you are having unsuccessful searches then it may be worth putting less information in rather than too much.
                As Margaret says give us some more info and hopefully we can be a bit of help.
                Since SP changed to having the inital index free it makes it easier for us to help without cost.
                Good luck.
                herky
                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks Margaret and Herky,
                  I'll keep trying here and will keep and eye on the boundaries. I found one correct Marriage entry with Scotland's People finally so I'm back on track to a fashion. I'll spend a bit longer to make sure I'm searching both Scotland's People and familysearch properly. It's good to know that those are recommended so I will persevere. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X