Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I name women according to their maiden name or married name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I name women according to their maiden name or married name?

I'm new to this and wondering what is the practice for entering the surnames of women: by their maiden name or married name.
    My instinct is to use their maiden name as that should help searches UP the line. On the other hand, if I use their married names, it would help searches DOWN the line...
    Can anyone advise please?
    Many thanks!

I name women by maiden name that's their family line. I think ancestry automatically adds married name in hints and when you search

Comment

I routinely enter married women under their maiden names....it is a great help when you have a run of 'John SMITHs' in a line to differentiate them according to whether one was married to a 'Martha BLOGGS' or a 'Priscilla BROWN'

Beverley

Comment

Yes it is the usual convention to keep the woman's maiden name. Some people add the married name in brackets but it gets complicated if there is more than one marriage. You need to get used to discipline yourself to look for her death or further marriage with the 'current' name. I've wasted more than a bit of time by accidentally searching for the wrong name!
        Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
          Yes it is the usual convention to keep the woman's maiden name. Some people add the married name in brackets but it gets complicated if there is more than one marriage. You need to get used to discipline yourself to look for her death or further marriage with the 'current' name. I've wasted more than a bit of time by accidentally searching for the wrong name!
          Anne
          I put the married name in square brackets .i.e. Mary [Smith] until I know the maiden name. I used to leave it blank then I changed to putting Mary Unknown or Mary [Unknown] but once I got further back it was hard (impossible!!) to differentiate all the Mary Unknowns!!
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
            I put the married name in square brackets .i.e. Mary [Smith] until I know the maiden name. I used to leave it blank then I changed to putting Mary Unknown or Mary [Unknown] but once I got further back it was hard (impossible!!) to differentiate all the Mary Unknowns!!
            I do this as well. It has the added bonus of putting them all at the top of an alphabetical list, reminding me I need still need to do a bit more research on them!
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
              I do this as well. It has the added bonus of putting them all at the top of an alphabetical list, reminding me I need still need to do a bit more research on them!
              I forgot to add that - that was why I added the brackets.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Great thank you! And yes, and awful lot of Lewis Bells in my ancestry, making research quite complex! :-)

Comment

Thank you, good advice, much appreciated!

Comment

Thank you. And good point about having a system for knowing where you still need to do research.

Comment

I always add the 'wife' with her maiden name [if i know it, if not then she goes under her married name until I discover her MN]
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Unknown (married surname) Ann.... for FTM

Works for me. However if you get into the realms of 'Ann' having other surnames it can get a little confusing

Chris
                          Last edited by Chris in Sussex; 30-04-17, 01:22.
                          Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Working...
                          X