adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adoption

I am new to the adoption procedure can anyone help, I have a certified copy of an entry in the adopted children's register but I am not quite sure about the information given on the certificate. The christian names of the adopted child are the same names I gave them when I applied for the certificate does this mean this was his birth name and the adoptive parents did not change them. I was hoping that it would give me his full name given by his birth parent/parents.

Where do I go from here do I contact agency that dealt with the adoption as it does give those details and the date of the adoption order, would really appreciate some help.
    GWEN

My understanding is that the adoption certificate is just that - a certificate of adoption which cannot be linked back to the child's birth certificate as it signifies the start of a new life for the child. Yes the adoption agency or other authorised agencies can then make the link, but this information is legally only available to the adopted person his/herself, or after a fairly recent ruling to children of the adoptee if he/she is deceased. I'm sure people with experience in this type of search will be able to give you more advice.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I echo what Judith has said. Adoption is a private and often sensitive matter and there is normally no legal way for a third party to make the link between birth identity and adopted identity.

You can pay an accredited adoption researcher to find the information. They will act as a go between. They charge many hundreds of pounds and my only experience of such an agency was on this forum and it ended in a near disaster which I for one will never forget. (Unprofessional behaviour, to say the least).

OC
      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 28-04-17, 12:32.

Comment

We have just checked my mothers adoption papers and it is both in her adoptive name and her former birth name. However as I say this is the adoptees certificate, but hope this helps in some way.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

The person who was adopted is deceased and is my son-in-law Grandfather so can he apply for the details?
          GWEN

Comment

Bubblebelle

I am positive that a legal adoption certificate does not refer to the birth identity of the child. If it did, no one would ever have to wonder wbat their birth name was.

Perhaps what you have is a copy of the court adoption papers?

OC

Comment

Indeed it is the Court adoption order, OC . Sorry Coggie for the confusion as this is what I thought you were talking about.
              Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

My friend was adopted. She has a copy of her birth registration, which names her as S..... P...... B..... She also has a copy of her adoption certificate which names her as J... P....... L.... There is no way that a third party could link one name identity with the other.
                Years ago she asked me to look up her details at St Catherine's House (then the repository of the GRO indexes.) I found her birth registration in the usual way - surname & forenames, in the quarter appropriate to her date of birth.
                I then looked in the index of adoptions and found her by searching for JPL; this was filed under the relevant year in which the adoption took place.
                There was no way that a researcher (not in the know) could connect one event with the other. Even the purchase of a copy of the birth cert with the added word "adopted" would have given no clues as to when or where the adoption took place or the new name of the child.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                  The person who was adopted is deceased and is my son-in-law Grandfather so can he apply for the details?
                  You need to check with GRO and/or the Adoption Agency who handled the matter.
                  Margaret

Comment

Thanks everyone but I am totally confused, I obtained the certificate from the GRO it does not look like a court order it states it is "a certified copy of an entry in the records office of the General Records Office". Below at the bottom it states "Certified copy of an entry in the Adopted Children Register maintained at the GRO". It gives just forenames, date of entry, names of the adoptive parents, date of Birth, date of the adoption order and name of the court. Thats it, my son in law would like to find out the original birth names, is this possible.
                    GWEN

Comment

Gwen

Yes, he can apply for some limited information which will include the original birth name. This information does not come free!

Not sure how you apply but there may be something on the GRO website.

OC

Comment

Yes, information on the GRO website. You have to use an agency.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Yes, information on the GRO website. You have to use an agency.

OC
                          I was helping someone last year who was adopted through Father Hudsons HOmes and they offer help to anyone who is affected by adoption so I believe they are a suitable agency for the service being looked for here. Have a look at their website http://www.fatherhudsons.org.uk/adul...adoption/8.htm. Their charges might not be so much as others.
                          Margaret

Comment

Working...
                          X