Mightily Stuck!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mightily Stuck!!

I have been researching my family tree for around 6 months (this time) and have been really successful on my mother's side going back to Henry III, John Lackland and Henry II, but I am completely stuck on my GGG GF (Alexander Hoggins, born circa 1773, who married Jane Reay on 26 Aug 1798 at All Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne, England) and died in 1851. I have got his approximate age from the 1851 Census but I CANNOT trace his birth.

I have searched England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales to no avail. I have been on to Northumbria Archives to see if they had a birth record and a marriage certificate so I could identify his parents. No luck on birth but they found his marriage but it did not show his parents on the certificate, therefore I think his birth record is the only method of progressing. I think his mother could be called Margaret Hall which I found ages ago but I cannot now find this record!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Do the witnesses of the marriage help ?

Family link perhaps ?

Comment

is this one likely
      Alexander Hoggan
      Birth Date: 5 Feb 1772
      Baptism Date: 9 Feb 1772
      Baptism Place: , Bo'ness, West Lothian, Scotland
      Father: James Hoggan
      Mother: Ann Dykes
      FHL Film Number: 1066613
      Reference ID: 2:17GSCJG

Comment

I have merged your threads together. Having two identical threads will just confuse anyone who tries to help you out.

Had you seen the reply from yesterday?
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Sorry Caroline, I think we must have been doing this at the same time. I wondered why it had left todays on the thread, so I deleted it :o
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
            Sorry Caroline, I think we must have been doing this at the same time. I wondered why it had left today's on the thread, so I deleted it :o
            Better both than neither!!
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
              Do the witnesses of the marriage help ?

Family link perhaps ?
              Unfortunately the Parish priest was a little shy and wrote only the main details with no parents or witnesses. I was told this was common (?) I was entirely upto the discretion of the Priest.

Comment

Sorry. First post. I searched for it and couldn't find it so thought I had messed up! Will know in future!

Comment

Thanks. I will follow this up. Although mother called Ann I could have been wrong in the first place!

Comment

I did try to find them in 1841 but no luck

Comment

Unluckly some records can be very detailed but maybe as it was central Newcastle the numbers would have been great.

I googled a bit and wondered as he was a Waterman, living in the Keelmans Hospital in Newcastle, the Tyneside Archives may have some records of his employment. Also his accommodation. From what I read, to get into the Keelmans Hospital or Alms Houses he would have had to make an application about his circumstances. Wonder if they would have asked about his parents.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        is this one likely
                        Alexander Hoggan
                        Birth Date: 5 Feb 1772
                        Baptism Date: 9 Feb 1772
                        Baptism Place: , Bo'ness, West Lothian, Scotland
                        Father: James Hoggan
                        Mother: Ann Dykes
                        FHL Film Number: 1066613
                        Reference ID: 2:17GSCJG
                        Val,
                        This is a possibility but would you know how I can 'verify' it?
                        From the 1851 Census his age, therefore DOB, should be 1773 but it's the closest I have seen. It's just verification now!
                        Thx Joe

Comment

Isn't this them in 1841 shortly before Jane died in Sept quarter 1841 aged 68 (3rd one down right hand side as Alex''- https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

The most likely death I can find for Alexander is September quarter 1854 (not 1851) Aged 80.
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by JoseH View Post
                            Val,
                            This is a possibility but would you know how I can 'verify' it?
                            From the 1851 Census his age, therefore DOB, should be 1773 but it's the closest I have seen. It's just verification now!
                            Thx Joe
                            You could go to a Family History Centre and ask to see the microfilm but as regards verifying it you need to find some other evidence - the standard test is 3 different pieces of evidence.

The census details are often out by a year or so as the question was 'what was your age last birthday?' and in those days people did not keep track of their ages as much as we do because it was not really relevant to anything much. People didn't need birth certificates or evidence of identity like we do nowadays.

Margaret

Comment

As there are one or two men with the same name born around the same time, you may need to do a number of mini trees and see where that takes you. Naming patterns might help too.

OC

Comment

The 1854 death is in the paper

1 August 1854 - Durham County Advertiser - Durham

05 August 1854 - Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury

Both have

lately, at the New Road, aged 80, Mr Alexander Hoggins, much respected.

1860 is Alexander age 15, son of Alexander Hoggins, cooper.
                                Last edited by Elaine; 28-04-17, 21:20.
                                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

There's a death for Jane which ties in New Road

Durham County Advertiser 10 September 1841

. At Newcastle, on Monday last, on the New Road, Jane, wife of Alexander Hoggins
                                  Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Alexander

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                    Isn't this them in 1841 shortly before Jane died in Sept quarter 1841 aged 68 (3rd one down right hand side as Alex''- https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

The most likely death I can find for Alexander is September quarter 1854 (not 1851) Aged 80.
                                    Chrissie. I have searched many times on different sites for the 1841 census entry. Thank you. It's definitely them. So I know they lived in Newcastle in 1841 and probably earlier than 1798 when he married Jane Reay.

I'm still looking at Val's find of an Alexander Hoggan Born in West Lothian in 1772 but that doesn't fit in with the age on the 1841 census of 60 years which would be 1781. Gosh - patience is definitely a virtue!!

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I will look it up

Comment

For scottish parish registers, you need to download the images off scotlandspeople.

Comment

Working...
                                        X