Who lived at this address??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who lived at this address??

On a Canadian 1920 passenger declaration form for Mitchell Eccles i have he gives his "Nearest Relative...." as father (name illegible) Eccles address 7 West George Street Glasgow.
    Mitchell was illegitimate and Eccles was his mother's name and she was never in Scotland to my knowledge so who exactly did live at that address then??

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but that was and is a multi tenanted commercial building. The building also had two other aka addresses. See the canmore site page for it here.
    https://canmore.org.uk/site/44121/gl...erchants-house

Comment

Thanks GallowayLass, that didn't take long. Interesting that he should use that as an address??

Andrew

Comment

Interestingly, a search on the British Newspaper Archive reveals that The Scotsman of Saturday 25 March 1911 states that the Glasgow Juvenile Delinquency Board met at 7 West George Street.

There may be more references. I ran out of time.

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by keldon; 25-04-17, 20:39.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Just found out why it met there. The clerk to the Board had an office there until 1913.
          See
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I've found out who was there from Scotlandspeople Valuations' and yes it was multi tenanted BUT also living there was his father in laws family the Excell's as he was the "Merchants Hall Keeper". Intresting that on the immigration form he puts his father as Eccell's and use' his Father in Laws address?

Andrew

Comment

Working...
            X