Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2014 Question

Hi folks,
    I have a huge tree in my database that i want to delete, but i want to delete it in one swoop. Instead of deleting each person in the tree, is there a way to delete the entire tree in one go ?

Thanks

I presume you are referring to deleting a branch of an existing tree, rather than the whole tree!

I find the best way is to do it via the charts. This link should help -
    - How do I delete a group of individuals in Family Tree Maker 2010-2017? Groups of individuals can quickly be removed from your tree in Family Tree Maker using charts in the Publish workspace.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine!

Comment

I have a question. I have FTM on one computer and I added the software to a new laptop. Everything transferred fine, except my images. How can I get the images from the old to the new AND put the images in the same place and folders as the old? As of now, they are not showing up and I don't want to re-link and have to re save all the images.

Comment

Originally posted by BeckyV View Post
          I have a question. I have FTM on one computer and I added the software to a new laptop. Everything transferred fine, except my images. How can I get the images from the old to the new AND put the images in the same place and folders as the old? As of now, they are not showing up and I don't want to re-link and have to re save all the images.
          Becky, a couple of questions before I make some suggestions!
          - Which version of FTM are you using?
          - Prior to the sync option being turned off at the end of March, did you used to synchronise your tree with Ancestry?
          - Do you intend to upgrade to FTM 2017?
          Elaine

Comment

Elaine, Thanks for responding. I am using FTM 2014.1. Yes, I am scheduled for the 2017 upgrade once released. I use Ancestry, but not in details, mainly for research. I have linked the two in the past, but this time I can't link (maybe due to shut off). So what I did was export from my old computer as a ged file and then attempt to put in the new laptop. All was well, Then I noticed the missing images.

Comment

OK - the reason why you have no images is that you used a GEDCOM file to transfer the file. GEDCOM is data only and does not include images.

The default folder for your FTM data files is in a folder in Documents called FamilyTree Maker
              The files you should see are
              • name of tree (FTM Family File 2014)
              • name of tree_Autobackup (FTM Backup File 2014)

plus a folder
              • name of tree Media (this should contain all your FTM media files)

To get your data and media from one computer to another you could just copy these files plus media folder (using memory stick or external drive) and then paste them into the default FTM folder in Documents. it should then show the same tree on both computers. However, your problem is if you want to work on both computers you will have to continually update the files so that they match.

I get round this by keeping my FTM files plus media folder on cloud storage - I use Dropbox. This allows me to work on either of my computers and when I have finished and close down FTM, the cloud storage file is automatically updated and the most up to date file is available for use by either my desktop or laptop next time I want to work on it.

If you intend to upgrade to FTM 2017 (when it's finally released) then you can approach it in a different way. You can install the program on as many devices you wish and keep the data file local to that device - so cloud storage is not necessarily.
              You can then work on either computer A, computer B or via Ancestry on the web and when you synchronise you will be able to update all three to the most recent version of your data file. Obviously if you are continually changing from one computer to the other then it would probably be best to synchronise fairly frequently so that all three locations have the same data.

As you probably know, the sync option is currently switched off, even for test users of the new program. If you are not in a hurry then I would wait until the program is released - you can then install the program on both computers - sync the file which includes the images from FTM to Ancestry - open up other computer and sync the Ancestry tree down to that one. Everything will then match and you are ready to go!

Hope that makes sense!
              Elaine

Comment

I will try that! Thank you! I was not aware it didn't transfer images! :D

Comment

I have a new question regarding FTM and actually have seen it in my old Legacy. FTM have a "reference number" and I believe Legacy is a USER ID field. I'm curious what you all use these for? I think it would be helpful, I just cannot figure out how to use them. Can you share what you use them for?

Comment

Working...
                  X