Why does my Windows 10 have a Back up and restore Windows 7 option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my Windows 10 have a Back up and restore Windows 7 option

Is this normal? as I dont know why, but I keep feeling this PC has been owned by somebody else and wasn't new, or is that just my suspicious mind.

afaik you will only have this option if the PC has been upgraded from W7.

If you check the case, is there a Windows 7 Certificate of Authenticity sticker anywhere ?
    https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

really ? ummmmmmmmmmm but could this one have been windows 7 and Dell upgraded it before selling it? I'll have a look for that thanks Grim

Comment

Yes the back up is only used if there was an earlier version. Windows 10 will ask to back the previous edition that was on the hard drive. If it was a new Windows 10 on a new hard drive there would be no back up windows 7 it would ask you to make windows 10 back up disks.

Comment

now I am worried, going to email them thanks.

Comment

Have look at your C: drive. Is there a folder called windows.old? If so it is an upgraded system. This doesn't necessarily mean someone has used it before though.

Manufacturers make computers in huge batches, and they can be hanging around in warehouses (with the manufacturer, the wholesaler or the retailer) for many months before being sold. The operating system is usually installed at manufacture form a master hard drive image and that image is used for the production life of the computer. If the design and specification was settled on before Windows 10 was released the image used would be for an earlier version, and generally they wouldn't change the drive image. It would then be up to the retailer or end-user to run the upgrade.

My guess is the retailer has upgraded it for you.
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks for that info Pete, and yes there is a windows.old dated 22 4 2017 and a windows 10 upgrade dated 8 3 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                Thanks for that info Pete, and yes there is a windows.old dated 22 4 2017 and a windows 10 upgrade dated 8 3 2017
                That doesn't make sense Val - the Win.old should be an earlier date that the Win 10 Upgrade.

Margaret

Comment

yes I thought that odd too Margaret but dont know whether it is a problem or not.

Comment

Working...
                  X