Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching the Steel family from Neiston Renfrewshire, Scotland

Hi All

I am trying to find any information about William Steel/Steele born on the 7th June 1789 and married Sarah Paisley on the 4th March 1825 but I cannot find anything else about him or her, date they passed away or where they lived ect. I would be obliged if anyone knows anything about either of them or could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Was your William Steele a hand loom weaver?
    I may have found them on the 1841 and 51 census in Neilston.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

My interest got the better of me - however you will need to have a look on Scotlands People to get more info on this family.
      On her death Sarah is listed as Sarah STEEL.
      She died at the good age of 79 in Neilston, date of death 1July 1870. Informant on the cert was a son called Thomas
      Sarah's parents were Thomas PASLEY , a weaver and Mary PASLEY, maiden name JOHNSTON.
      Sarah was the widow of William STEEL, a weaver.

William may have died in 1859 but I will leave that one for you to check out.
      Good luck with your searches.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks herky, I think that is the right family, I was a member of the Scotlands people but not been on the site for a while ran out of credits, thanks for the advice I will defiantly get some credits.

I am trying to find ways of tracing where my relatives closer to home are buried, I know the town they died in and some rough dates but cannot find out how to pin the actual church down.

Comment

You could try contacting family history society for the area and inquiring if they have monumental inscriptions. However, in my experience, many of the poorer folk did not have gravestones.
          Also try the local authority (council) - they will have old ledgers of who is buried where even if they did not have a stone and will be able to supply with with the plot number and a plan should you wish to visit the grave.
          I have visited quite a few of my direct line who had no stone thanks to the help of the cemetery department of the council.
          Some will charge for this service.
          Depending on the dates they will not necessarily be buried in a churchyard - could be a municipal cemetery.
          herky

Comment

Thanks herky I think the next step will be to contact my local council and see if they can help, I looked on their web site and there was nothing there except buying certificates. I looked at the site that was mentioned here on another thread about the local churches and graves but no luck. Still i'll keep looking. Thanks for your help and advice herky.

Comment

Hello Colin,

You wouldn't happen to have come across a Helen Munro (Maiden name Steel), who passed away around 2000 and is buried in Dunure (around 40 miles south of Neilston)?

Comment

Originally posted by ColinS View Post
                Thanks herky I think the next step will be to contact my local council and see if they can help, I looked on their web site and there was nothing there except buying certificates. I looked at the site that was mentioned here on another thread about the local churches and graves but no luck. Still i'll keep looking. Thanks for your help and advice herky.
                Colin, we may be distant relatives and I'm a fantastic person! come back to the site...

Comment

Originally posted by Marhoon View Post
                  Colin, we may be distant relatives and I'm a fantastic person! come back to the site...
                  Colin hasn't been on for quite a while. You could try sending him a Private Message by clicking on his name on the left and you will see the option 'Private Message' come up. If his e-mail address hasn't changed he should get an e-mail letting him know that you are trying to contact him.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Sorry Marhoon I have just got your message. I don't think I have come across a Helen Munroe although it is possible she is related to my family. They originally come from Neilston but came to the west Midlands Via Barrow-in-Furness. I will check my records she might be the daughter of an Uncle once or twice removed. I have managed to get back to the 1700's. Are you on Ancestry? if you are I can give you access to my family tree you might recognise a name on there.
                    I am in the West Midlands and have found relatives locally and one in the USA. Hope you get this message and I will look in daily from now on and if I can help I will.

ColinS

Comment

Thank for that. I think I need to link replies to my email too.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinS View Post
                        Sorry Marhoon I have just got your message. I don't think I have come across a Helen Munroe although it is possible she is related to my family. They originally come from Neilston but came to the west Midlands Via Barrow-in-Furness. I will check my records she might be the daughter of an Uncle once or twice removed. I have managed to get back to the 1700's. Are you on Ancestry? if you are I can give you access to my family tree you might recognise a name on there.
                        I am in the West Midlands and have found relatives locally and one in the USA. Hope you get this message and I will look in daily from now on and if I can help I will.

ColinS
                        That's no problem, I ended up going AWOL just as you replied!

I am on ancestry.com and it would be great to have a look at your tree. I am living in London, but our last remaining relative in Scotland was in Ayrshire. We then had family move to Yorkshire and then on to London for work.

I have been told that a great aunt had written down her "memories" which included a list of family members, which if I can get my hands on would help a lot in finding a possible connection to your tree.

Thank you for the reply.

Hope to hear back soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          Colin hasn't been on for quite a while. You could try sending him a Private Message by clicking on his name on the left and you will see the option 'Private Message' come up. If his e-mail address hasn't changed he should get an e-mail letting him know that you are trying to contact him.
                          Thank you for the tip!

Comment

Sorry i have been away for a long time, Just started to get serious again about researching my family again. The Steel family surname is spelt a few different ways (Steel, Steele, Stiel) My family have connections to different families Boundy (from London/Cambridge), Gemmell originally from Belfast, Evans (Scotland) and a few others. The Steel family originally (well the 1700's) are from Neilston, Renfrewshire, Scotland, my Great Great Grandfather was the first to move south of the boarder (as far as i know) he move with his wife Isabella to Barrow-in-Furness then onto the West Midlands if anyone has any information i would be most grateful or if anyone believes i can help with their family tree i would be glad to help.

Colin

Comment

Working...
                            X