Do It Yourself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do It Yourself

After hunting around in various different resources to patch together some beginnings of a family history, I also started to talk with members of the family and not only ask them things about the relationships in the family, but also started getting more into the social history side of things with them. My kids also found it interesting to hear these stories. As a result of this I decided to take it upon myself to see if I could start to record some of this family history, as well as begin on building my own life story so that my kids wouldn't have the same black holes and brick walls to deal with that I have. Was actually a friend of mine came up with the idea.

I am using a site to do this and wondered if any of you had come across this kind of thing before. Does this seem like a valuable resource tool for future generations of people looking into their history? Or does it just take the fun out of it as far as the greater community is concerned? I know my son is constantly looking over my shoulder while I fill things in on the site and is driving me mad with questions about when I was growing up. Not sure if it really counts though.

What do you think?

I had a quick glance and it looks a nice idea. The one thing many of us would say is ....... don't rely on one website to keep all your stuff. What if it goes broke? Copy the same things to your own computer. Print some of it off and make a folder. Back it all up!!
    Anne

Comment

My late father took early retirement and to fill his very empty days he decided to record his life history on tape. Twenty tapes, each an hour long and I am afraid it's dead boring! He recorded only what had interested HIM, not what might have interested ME. Also, the small amount of family history he recorded has been seriously wrong.

But that's not to say that it's not worth while. Just make sure that what you record is accurate otherwise it's largely pointless. I would also make some kind of hard copy, as any internet hosting site can vanish overnight taking all your hard work with it.

OC

Comment

And bear in mind that technology systems change RAPIDLY and become obsolete through time. So, make sure that you update regularly and don't leave the legacy of material which can no longer be accessed!

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          My late father took early retirement and to fill his very empty days he decided to record his life history on tape. Twenty tapes, each an hour long and I am afraid it's dead boring! He recorded only what had interested HIM, not what might have interested ME. Also, the small amount of family history he recorded has been seriously wrong.

But that's not to say that it's not worth while. Just make sure that what you record is accurate otherwise it's largely pointless. I would also make some kind of hard copy, as any internet hosting site can vanish overnight taking all your hard work with it.

OC
          Yes I have hit a similar issue myself. This site comes pre-loaded with questions which help keep people on topic. It also has functionality to create your own questions so that you can make sure you get exactly the information you want.

Comment

Thanks for the advice about the issues of losing hard worked for data. Clearly the voices of experience talking there which is exactly why I was asking for the advice. I hadn't really considered that issue.

I have had a chat with my friend who owns the site and due to your feedback there will be a local backup facility added within the week, so that at any time a user can download all of their data and photos to a file to keep and backup locally.

Again, appreciate the feedback

Comment

Working...
            X