1881 scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1881 scotland

is the 1881 scotland census free to look at anywhere please?. I found it on familysearch org but couldnt find the complete family. Just the individual, would like to see the entire family

If they were from Caithness, try freecen.org.uk
    It along with Cornwall, England are the only two counties done so far and coverage for both is 100%.

Comment

Thanks but they are from Lanarkshire

Comment

I thought the 1881 census was free to search on Ancestry? Doesn't that include Scotland?
        p.s. Not the actual page but listing everyone in the household.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 11-04-17, 10:04.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie is correct. You get a transcription of the household. The only benefit to freecen once it is done is it will give you one page per household with the facility to scroll back and forth between neighbouring households.
          I am out just now but PM me the details and I can sort you out in about an hour or so.

Comment

The 1881 Census for the whole pf the UK to include Scotland, with all the original images and transcripts, was free to seach on the old CD discs, which were purchased through FH Societies many years ago, but I am sure will still be available to peruse through most FH Societies. You could also try any LDS Churches you can find still open, as Family Search online has really taken most of that business now. I have just this last month given two sets away as my FH group use everything online!! I kept my two sets for a while because of the Scotland Census!

Janet

Comment

That's odd Janet as my set only had transcriptions of each page. Sadly I can't use it any more as it's not compatible with Windows beyond XP.

Comment

ancestry keep saying there is a fault and page can not be found. they have access at the library so if I get a chance to go there I will do

Comment

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk has the LDS transcription of the 1881 Census FREE to search including full households

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                    That's odd Janet as my set only had transcriptions of each page. Sadly I can't use it any more as it's not compatible with Windows beyond XP.
                    Yes, I got mine out, but with a similar result. I'm sure it only offered transcriptions, though, no images.

Perhaps I should bin it ? ;D

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 12-04-17, 10:49.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I've kept mine in the hope some computer wiz will eventually come up with a fix.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                        Ah well now you have got me wondering, although I thought I was able to peruse images as well, because one of mine could not be found on the transcription, but I found the image mistranscribed as Gipson instead of Gibson and I only accessed the Scottish census through the CD set, not Scotlands People. I no longer have sets, so cannot check!

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 12-04-17, 11:01.

Comment

Working...
                        X