Missing in GRO - or mistranscribed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing in GRO - or mistranscribed?

I do have all the details for this person, so this is just out of curiosity. I cannot find one of OH's great-uncles in the GRO register. He was born in Peterborough in august 1892. On FreeBMD he is listed as Qvarnstron, (Sep 1892, Peterbro' 3b 268) and indeed this is the name on the index page. (The correct name should have been Qvarnstrom, which later was anglicised to Quanstrom(. I have tried lots of different misspellings but haven't yet hit on the correct one. Just wondered, if anyone has nothing to do, whether they can find it.

All the other names on the same index page can be found on GRO.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Leon Qvarnstron born Peterborough Sept Qtr 1892 on Ancestry 3b 268

sunny r

Comment

On the GRO he's listed as QUARUSTRON, LEON

(I used Qanstron and 'phonetically similar" and struck lucky)
      Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie, I'm always amazed at the ingenuity used to mangle this name. When I first started this hobby and was looking for a family member on the 1891 I was completely stumped, until Elaine came to my rescue and found them listed as TUAMSLROM.

Thanks also Sunny - I think Ancestry use the FreeBMD transcriptions, but GRO have done their own. Shame you can't search on there using just the reference numbers as that would have pulled it up straight away.
        Linda

Comment

Birth Record for Leon Qvarnstron
          in the District of Peterborough
          Name
          Leon Qvarnstron
          District
          Peterborough, Northamptonshire
          Page
          Volume
          3B
          Registered
          July - September 1892

Is this him

Comment

Yes, thanks that is him - I have all his details and knew when and where he was born, but just wondered what GRO had transcribed him as. One of the joys of having a foreign name in a country is being kept on your toes as to how other people pronounce it. My maiden name is also foreign and I was waiting for something once and it wasn't until they had called this name a few times I realised it was me - they were calling for Casablanca, but my name had no s or l's in it, and only 1 a!
            Linda

Comment

Linda .............

ancestry does use the Freebmd transcriptions for births up to about 1916, but then they did their own using the information from GRO

GRO is the General Registry Office, and Freebmd has taken the information from the GRO records.

The new GRO records for births and deaths are digitisations of the Index.
              Last edited by Sylvia C; 11-04-17, 20:05.
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

My worst one was when the GRO mistranscribed the first letter of the surname.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post

The new GRO records for births and deaths are digitisations of the Index.
                  The new indexes are transcribed from the GRO register entries not taken from the existing indexes so should be more accurate. ...... However they were done some years ago as part of a previous project and the standard doesn't seem great. But if you do find an error, use their online system to report it and the entry will be checked and re indexed if necessary.
                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

On checking I noticed that Mothers Maiden name had also been mistranscribed so have sent in an error report for both names. Thanks Anthony, I hadn't noticed the link before.
                    Linda

Comment

Oops - sorry, should be thanks Antony.
                      Linda

Comment

Working...
                      X