Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Boulton and Chester Annuity

Hello!

I am currently working on a stubborn brickwall and, as part of that, I am trying to prove or disprove that one Job Boulton of Bridgnorth, Shropshire, is the same man as Job Boulton of Droitwich, Worcestershire, the son of my brickwall ancestor (also named Job). If he is, I open up a number of leads (he was mentioned as the cousin of Mary Rudge of Feckenham and Evesham in her 1755 will).

He himself left a will in 1777 that, sadly, doesn't prove the identification. He left property in Shropshire and Worcestershire, and also two shares in what is termed the "Chester Anuity". I have no idea exactly what this was, and my google skills are failing me.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks!

Originally posted by tanyal View Post
    Hello!

I am currently working on a stubborn brickwall and, as part of that, I am trying to prove or disprove that one Job Boulton of Bridgnorth, Shropshire, is the same man as Job Boulton of Droitwich, Worcestershire, the son of my brickwall ancestor (also named Job). If he is, I open up a number of leads (he was mentioned as the cousin of Mary Rudge of Feckenham and Evesham in her 1755 will).

He himself left a will in 1777 that, sadly, doesn't prove the identification. He left property in Shropshire and Worcestershire, and also two shares in what is termed the "Chester Anuity". I have no idea exactly what this was, and my google skills are failing me.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks!
    The only things I have seen on a google search refer to a court case which cites Chester Annuity in the arguments about whether an annuity was valid to be paid. I would assume from this that after this case people set up annuities using the term to ensure it was viewed in the same way as the original one.
    All a bit vague I know but nothing else is coming up.
    Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      The only things I have seen on a google search refer to a court case which cites Chester Annuity in the arguments about whether an annuity was valid to be paid. I would assume from this that after this case people set up annuities using the term to ensure it was viewed in the same way as the original one.
      All a bit vague I know but nothing else is coming up.
      Margaret
      Thanks for searching. Yeah, I know, it's a pain.

Comment

Are there signatures on the Will or marriage certificates, which could be compared?

A friend was able to prove, by matching signatures that a James who married in Southampton was the same one who had married in Co. Durham.

Comment

There is a signature on the will, but I haven't found a document that Job of Droitwich has signed so that I can compare them.

Also, someone on another forum found this for me.

Chester Courant, 10 Feb 1795

CITY OF CHESTER ANNUITIES
          Name of Annuitant - Richard Thomas
          Names of the Lives - Joseph Boulton, Susannah Boulton
          Where living on 24th of December 1794; or suspended for want of certificates- Bridgnorth, Shropshire

Job's wife was Joanna Thomas, so looks like one of her relatives set it up, her father perhaps? I'm going to have to investigate further
          Last edited by tanyal; 10-04-17, 00:47.

Comment

Working...
          X