Romford baptism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romford baptism

Trying to find the details for the baptism of Frances Wood, born ca 1832 in Romford, Essex. According to her marriage Cert, her father was John, and it is possible her Mother was Sarah, nee King.

Also any info on her parents marriage, which according to an online tree was in 1815 in Rainham.

Many thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

County Essex
    Place Rainham
    Church name St Helen and St Giles
    Register type Parish Register
    Register entry number 9
    Marriage date 07 Nov 1815
    Groom forename John
    Groom surname WOOD
    Groom parish This Parish
    Bride forename Sarah
    Bride surname KING
    Bride parish This Parish
    Witness Edward PHIPPS
    Witness John EDWARDS
    Register note Banns
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Cannot see a baptism for Frances though. Have you found baptisms for any other of their children? 17 years after their marriage seems an awfully long time before having a child. Do you think it is possible they adopted?
      Kat

Comment

Still trying to find info, but according to the online tree siblings were William, 1817; Elizabeth 1820; Sarah 1822; Hannah 1825; Robert John 1835 and Mary 1837.

Thanks
        Linda

Comment

As far as I can see only Romford marriages 1813 - 1837 have been transcribed - you were lucky there

Only Rainham Marriages 1750 - 1839 transcribed. No Baptisms.
          Rainham Baptisms 1570 - 1972 are available to view at http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/getpage.a...rish_registers . At a price :(

Edit:

If you scroll down this page you can see what is available
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 07-04-17, 00:18.
          Kat

Comment

Thanks Kat - trying to work out what is there - getting myself all confused!
            Linda

Comment

No proof that these are yours, except baptised where John and Sarah were married, as posted above by Kat!!

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Name: William Wood
              Baptism Date: 16 Mar 1817
              Baptism Place: Rainham, Essex, England
              Father: John Wood
              Mother: Sarah
              FHL Film Number: 1702508

Name: Elizabeth Wood
              Baptism Date: 21 May 1820

Name: Sarah Wood
              Baptism Date: 17 Nov 1822

Name: Hannah Wood
              Baptism Date: 2 Oct 1825
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks Sylvia. This is Frances in 1841: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

Elizabeth seems to match up, and looking on Google Maps Romford and Rainham are quite close together. Sarah had supposedly died quite young and Frances according to history, ran off and married. Have her from her marriage in 1859 until death in 1929, at supposed age of 99. Haven't yet found her in 1851.
                Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                  Still trying to find info, but according to the online tree siblings were William, 1817; Elizabeth 1820; Sarah 1822; Hannah 1825; Robert John 1835 and Mary 1837.

Thanks
                  1841 census http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...1841&h=1673240
                  Civil Parish: Romford
                  Hundred: Havering atte Bower Liberty
                  All born in County
                  John Wood 47 Dealer
                  Elizabeth Wood 21
                  Frances Wood 9
                  Robert Wood 6
                  Mary Wood 4

1851 census http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=4710358
                  Romford
                  John Wood 57 Pig dealer
                  Elizabeth Wood 31
                  Robert John Wood 16
                  Mary Wood 14

I thought maybe John had married twice but found this marriage. John states being a bachelor which would mean they are two different families - but of course he could have lied and in fact he was a widower!

County Essex
                  Place Havering-atte-Bower
                  Church name St John the Evangelist
                  Register type Parish Register
                  Register entry number 260
                  Marriage date 13 Feb 1837
                  Groom forename John
                  Groom surname WOOD
                  Groom condition bachelor
                  Groom parish This parish
                  Bride forename Elizabeth
                  Bride surname WOODS
                  Bride parish This parish
                  Witness William WOODS
                  Witness Phoebe CHANCE
                  Register note Banns

Shame the date of marriage falls just before registration began. However Elizabeth consistently gives 1820 as birthdate. Surely she would be too young to be mother to these three children especially Frances and perhaps Robert John too?
                  Perhaps she massively lied too LOL!
                  Kat

Comment

That's interesting Kat - however on the 1851 John is a Widower and Elizabeth his daughter, but he could have quite easily have married another Elizabeth who died before 1841, so difficult to know.
                    Linda

Comment

How silly of me!!! See Elizabeth was his daughter. Must go to specsaves LOL!!!
                      Kat

Comment

At Havering Atte Bower
                        Frances Wood baptised April 22nd, 1832, dau of John and Elizabeth
                        Father a fishmonger
                        Abode, Collier Row, Romford.

Comment

Oh thanks Sue - wow that really changes things, need to have a rethink now!
                          Linda

Comment

Originally posted by SuffolkSue View Post
                            At Havering Atte Bower
                            Frances Wood baptised April 22nd, 1832, dau of John and Elizabeth
                            Father a fishmonger
                            Abode, Collier Row, Romford.
                            Thanks for finding that Sue - from SEAX? My sub for that site finished last month I do miss it :(
                            Kat

Comment

I think that it is the same Frances as on the 1841 census, as they are living in the same place - Collier Row. However I still don't think that the Elizabeth in the census is the mother because of the age difference. It would be interesting to see who the mother of Robert and Mary is. It's possible that Sarah died and John re-married . I'm not sure whether the second marriage that Kat found is the right one, as I found some children born after 1837, Wood with mmn Woods, and on the 1851 they were with parents John and Elizabeth, and definitely not my John.

Puzzlement!!
                              Linda

Comment

Also to John and Elizabeth Wood at Havering Atte Bower of Collier Row, father a fishmonger.
                                Robert John born 4th February and baptised 8th March, 1834
                                Mary born 15th November and baptised 11th December, 1836

Comment

Oh thanks so much Sue, that definitely confirms it being Frances on that census. I don't suppose you can see any trace of a marriage between John and Elizabeth can you? This is for a friend, and family story is that Frances said she was descended from a baronet - wouldn't think too many baronets worked as fishmongers!
                                  Linda

Comment

It's the fishmonger occupation that's weird. - John is a dealer on 1841 and pig dealer on 1851. I suppose he could have gone from fish to pigs and the children do fit in well don't they for an Elizabeth marriage - especially with that gap of 12 years between the births of Hannah and Frances. The Elizabeth on 1841 fit's in with him being married to a Sarah first before an Elizabeth. Had she not been there I would suspect this being two families. Pity '41 doesn't give relationships. Also '41 doesn't say he was widowed - wife Elizabeth could have been visiting.

What was John's occupation on Frances's marriage cert? Any other clues on it?
                                    Kat

Comment

Both Frances and Mary married in 1859 - within a week of each other. However Frances had supposedly run away to marry, having run a bit wild after her mother died when she was young, and never went back home.

Frances marriage: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
                                      29 Oct 1859, St Leonard, Bromley to alexander Sherlock. Father John Wood, Farmer.

Mary marriage: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

22 October 1859, St Leonards, Shoreditch, father John Wood, a farmer.

Robert John died in 1887, unmarried. Probate was left to Mary Randall, his sister and only next-of-kin, of Collier Row, which suggests that they had lost contact with Frances. The witnesses for both marriages do not give any clues.

There is a death for an Elizabeth Wood in 1838, aged 40 in Romford who might be the correct Elizabeth.
                                      Linda

Comment

Working...
                                      X