Question on Alien Naturalization Document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Alien Naturalization Document

I have been doing some naturalization research on a great grandfather on my mothers side, Angelo Tomaino. I was only able to find
    this one document (see attached)

It came from a Warren County Pennsylvania naturalization catalog on Familysearch

Alien docket v. 4 1890-1897 Index to alien docket v. 5 1897-1906 Alien docket v. 5 1897-1906

Normally you see first papers / petitions for naturalization documents, but this is different. Read the document really closely (he is on the upper left quadrant of the document)

If you look at the top it has a file date of 9/4/1897 and begins talking about a declaration.
    It then says...and now March 5 1900 petition of....

I am assuming that his "Official" naturalization date was 3/5/1900. But just wanted to get others opinion...

1) Do you think they would have filled out the first part (the declaration part) and then when
    he returned years later to submit his petition they would have filled out the second part?

I just haven't had any experience with these alien documents and would be curious on your thoughts.

Tomaino_Angelo_Alien_Naturalization_Document.jpg
    Last edited by harleynut97; 04-04-17, 20:50.

Yes, I agree that he naturalized on 5 Mar 1900. But I think you may be able to find his declaration papers - have you looked for them? I think they'll be filed under that 1897 date.

Unfortunately, pre-1906 naturalizations (or declarations) usually don't provide much info.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 04-04-17, 23:49.

Comment

@photoFamily Yes I have been searching for the actual declaration/petition documents but so far no luck. It seems at this time period most everything was done at the county level (unless they filed first papers near their port of entry). Warren county,Pennsylvania only had these alien documents in the FS catalog. Besides doing broad searches under naturalization in FamilySearch and Ancestory, I did check this... Original source: NARA M1537. Naturalization petitions of the US District Court, 1820-1930, and the Circuit Court, 1820-1922, for the Western District of Pennsylvania. But didn't find anything on him.

Thanks for taking a look at the document

Comment

Working...
      X